[comp.sys.next] Poor 68040 BreakApp Performance

declan@ratt.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (11/10/90)

In article <2431@opus.cs.mcgill.ca>, peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) writes:

> I received a phone call this morning from my NeXT rep who
> told me that the chips from Motorola are now due to arrive
> on the 15th. She claims that NeXT is ready to build once
> shipments of CPUs begin to arrive, and says my machines
> should thus ship within four days of the chip shipment -
> ie before the 19th.
>
> Well, I was originally told in June that my machines would be
> ready by the "end of October" and it looks like they miss
> that by at least three weeks. Of course, Sun claim to be able
> to ship once they announce.
>
> Hmm, is there a debate here on the merits of
> pre-announcing? Should NeXT (and the others who announce
> before ship-date) not do this? It gives their competitors
> ammunition ("they sell vaporware" which has even been said
> here, despite the fact that many people have seen the
> 68040s running). On the other hand, this is an industry
> where the price/performance leader seems to change weekly.
> Keeping yourself positioned in this market is tough.

I don't know about you, but I have a NeXTstation and a cube on
my desk in my dorm room right now, happily networked and
benchmarking their little hearts out (seems as though my 8 MB
NeXTstation is about 4.5x as fast as my 16 MB NeXT cube in
MIPS and PostScripty things).  Unfortunately, at BreakApp,
it's only about 2.5x as fast.  $-(  Maybe I should have let
it go beyond level 40...

As for pre-announcing, I'd imagine that NeXT thought that
they would have the software done - and chips in quantity -
in October, so the September 18th announcement wouldn't be
that premature.  Well, now we know that date was a bit
optimistic...  But don't worry; you'll have your machines soon
and they'll be worth the wait.  $-)

-Declan

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu