[comp.sys.next] Think of it as NeXT evangelism

Nice guys write lousy software.  So?

I think shareware is a great concept, but in practice it's failed.
There are too many people without the integrity or the expertise
to exploit it effectively--so much so that shareware has earned a
bad name.

It was a wonderful idea--be in business for yourself, be your own
boss, set your own hours, reap the profits of your work.  Low
cost up front, low overhead, etc.  What went wrong?  What went
wrong was that most shareware promoters saw it as a way to make a
quick buck, with callous disregard for their market.  The quality
just isn't there.  There are a few notable exceptions, but not
many.

It's the same reason I won't buy anything made in Taiwan.  I've
been burned too many times.  So now I won't give the benefit of
the doubt to shareware.  And products like iwscript only serve to
reinforce my growing belief that All Shareware Is Crap.  And it's
too bad, because there are people who don't have sponsorship, and
don't want to slave away for a conventional employer, and perhaps
can't afford to produce software "for free."

But I also suspect that shareware authors are like stage actors:
very few make enough to survive on their earnings.  The people
that "got rich quick" off shareware weren't authors--they're the
ones who set up mass duplicating services and charge a couple
bucks per disk--creating the very middleman that the shareware
concept was ostensibly envisioned to sidestep.

The best software in the world is either freeware or reasonably
priced commercial work.  The former is sort of an open secret--
popular magazines rarely mention the former, because they don't
generate advertising revenue.  I was just reading one with a
special feature on virus checkers.  Nowhere in there did they
talk about what's probably the best program for the Macintosh--
Disinfectant.  It's free software.

So I've just turned out a better mousetrap at a more attractive
price.  That's capitalism too.  I'll even tell you how it works.
Would you buy a car whose hood you couldn't open?  Even if you
always plan on taking it to the dealer for maintenance, aren't
you ever curious what's going on inside?  I give you that.  You
can learn something.  If you want to become a dependent consumer,
that's fine.  But if you can stand on my shoulders and reach even
farther, I would be honored.  I didn't get to do that with
iwscript.  I had to start from scratch, and work a lot harder
than I "should have."  If iwscript didn't exist, I still would
have written iwf, and you'd all think it was neat and original.
But I wouldn't have wasted my time with something that promised
something it didn't deliver.

Last December I came up with an idea for a really hot
"interpersonal computing" tool.  Something that would be seen as
original.  Something I was going to write and contribute to NeXT
in the hope that it would go in /NextDeveloper/Apps.  I got as
far as prototyping it in IB in January, and didn't have the time
or resources to finish on my own.  Next week, Adamation is
demonstrating a new program called Live Wire, independently
developed, whose description is nearly identical to mine.  Now
mine will never be written.  But you'll have the functionality,
and no doubt better support than I could provide.  That's the
benefit of commercial software.  Far from complaining, I'm now
free to devote my efforts to other things.

I want to see the NeXT succeed, and become the BEST workstation
platform out there.  Greed isn't going to accomplish that.
Promoting a savvy developer base is.  There are a lot of talented
students out there that can't afford, what is it now, $1000? for
NeXT's Developer Camp.  I learned a lot from
/NextDeveloper/Examples, from NextAnswers and TechSupportNotes,
and from things other people have done.  Now I'm paying back.  If
just one person benefits from my work, then I consider it a
success.  There are a lot of Mac bigots (and whatnot) who are so
insecure that they will do anything to discredit Steve Jobs and
NeXT Computer Inc. and the user community.  Perhaps they should
be scared.  We have the potential.  Let's make it happen.

					-=EPS=-

saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Kevin Saunders) (11/10/90)

In article <1009@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>I think shareware is a great concept, but in practice it's failed.
>
>What went wrong?  What went
>wrong was that most shareware promoters saw it as a way to make a
>quick buck, with callous disregard for their market.

Oh, ick.  What went wrong with shareware is that 1) magazines are loath
to provide publicize programs when they won't receive ad revenues
from them and 2) the percentage of people honest enough to pay for
the shareware they use is TINY.  If users feel they're entitled to steal
Excel and 1-2-3, they're gonna steal shareware without a second
thought.

I made $100 off dumb virtue, my shareware vt100/tek4010/text-editor on
the Mac, all from *Europeans*.  I never broadcast a truly debugged
version (except to those who sent the $25) because I figured it out:
if nobody sent in money for FEdit, a really useful, reliable Mac hex
file editor, which got plenty of press, for sure nobody was gonna do it
for my weird-UNIX-oriented terminal program, even if it *did* do a
reasonable ANSI X3.64/vt100 emulation as fast as is possible when using
QuickDraw (unlike, say, Red Ryder, vom-vom) and support uw and do wild
things like support proportional fonts.  Was/is dumb virtue reliable?
Well, I used it as my primary Mac programming editor (dv did/does
finds, text shifts, bracket matching, etc.) until I started using MPW...
(a dog, but it handles files > 32K unlike dumb virtue's TextEdit based
editor--oh, Apple sucks the long one!  6 years, and they *still* don't
support text >32K!  Anybody out there remember CoreEdit?
Hahahahah....).

Remind me--I gotta stop programming Macs.  My resume's getting posted
in misc.jobs.resumes.

My brain hurts,
kevin

--

Kevin Eric Saunders
   cqu@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu

In article <1990Nov9.210806.11591@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
	saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Kevin Saunders) writes:
>                                I never broadcast a truly debugged
>version (except to those who sent the $25)

You're not alone at this.  If I pick up an early, buggy shareware
release, odds are I'm going to erase it soon after.  I'm not going
to send you $25 because you might be "hoarding" a working copy.  I
assume what I see is the BEST you can do.  If you only want to
give the "good" version to paying customers, put up a "limited
functionality demo" in which everything provided works.

					-=EPS=-

langz@prodigal.Eng.Sun.COM (Lang Zerner) (11/10/90)

In article <1010@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.210806.11591@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
>	saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Kevin Saunders) writes:
>>                                I never broadcast a truly debugged
>>version (except to those who sent the $25)
>
>You're not alone at this.  If I pick up an early, buggy shareware
>release, odds are I'm going to erase it soon after.

I've never been "burned" by shareware and I think it does work (I'm a user,
not a shareware publisher).  I generally stick with publishers who adhere to
the Association of Shareware Professionals standards.  This means that the
software is not functionally crippled in any way in the shareware version,
and that it is sufficiently documented online for you to be able to
adequately test it before deciding whether to buy it.  Typically you get 21
to 30 days to decide.  The way ASP member publishers make it worth your while
to register the package is to provide printed manuals (sometimes) and free
customer support.  Usually registration includes free updates for up to a
year.

Shareware licenses are just like commercial licenses except that (1) they
permit use of the product for 21 days (or wahtever) before purchase is
required, and (2) they do not prohibit copying and distribution of the
original shareware distribution.  Judging by the length of time most of the
shareware authors I patronize have been in business, shareware seems to work
pretty well.  I own two regular commercial packages I use regularly under DOS
(Turbo C and the Major BBS), and the rest -- 1-2-3 compatible spreadsheet,
communications software, virus scanner and TSR shield, file compression
utilities, DOS shell (4DOS), and jillions of others -- is all shareware.  I
get good technical support when I need it, and of course the software isn't
buggy -- I tested it all for a month before I bought it.

This is why I can't understand your assertion that shareware is low quality
software.  In fact, most of it is quite good, and you can certainly find out
from the online distribution community which packages are best suited to your
application.  I have no sympathy for someone who claims to have gotten
"stuck with" or "burned by" a buggy shareware product.  After a MONTH to test
it out?  If, after getting the golden opportunity to try before you buy that
shareware provides, someone does not make good use of that opportunity and
pays for the software without trying it, well, in my opinion they have about
as much right to complain as someone who buys a traditionally-published
product without reading advertising claims, marketing hype, and reviews
(which is the best information you can get if it isn't shareware.

Anyway, I've been up to long and this is well on its way to becoming a
tirade, so I'll end now by repeating: most shareware products offer good
value, good post-purchase support, and egalitarian licensing terms.  I can
understand why some authors won't choose to publish by this nethod, but I
don't understand users who shun it.

Be seeing you...
--Lang
--
langz@prodigal.sun.com    415/594-9268     "Why do you whistle so much?"
"Well, it's hardly the sort of thing you can ask someone to do FOR you."