[comp.sys.next] NeXT Step job available

sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) (11/10/90)

  I saw this in misc.jobs.offered and thought that it would be of
interest here.

	We have the following contracts available in the Palo Alto area:
	1. X-windows server work which is likely to involve a marriage or
merger of the X server with a window manager of another windowing system.
You will be participating as a working software engineer but, as well, will
be serving as a liasion/contact with an outside company who will require
guidance and help in completing their work. You must have some solid X
server experience 1-3 years and any other related experience is helpful (
such as X tool kit related although more systems internals would be most
helpful).
	2. The NeXT step Display Postscript Window Manager work will involve
portint NeXT step to a new architecture. It is a RISC based architecture.
If you have prior experience with a display postscript based product, solid
C programming experience and general windowing background (such as with
NeWS) that would help. Direct porting experience in another windowing environ
would also be useful.
	Salary is negotiable. The work setting is on-site only or almost
only, hours are somewhat flexible. You will need to be our employee during
the course of the contract. The contract can run 18 months duration.
	If you feel you are qualified you can fax to our office:
		(415) 644-0291.
	We would suggest you fax after 6 pm California time as traffic drops
off.
	Michael Sunday		Sunday & Associates, Inc.
	27 Greenbank Ave.	Piedmont, CA   94611
	(415) 644-0291		Please no resumes via the net. Call instead.

  Would anyone care to venture a guess what the new RISC based architecture
might be?

				Sean Brunnock

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Walter C. Daugherity) (11/11/90)

In article <1436@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:
>  I saw this in misc.jobs.offered...
[lines deleted]
>	2. The NeXT step Display Postscript Window Manager work will involve
>portint NeXT step to a new architecture. It is a RISC based architecture.
>  Would anyone care to venture a guess what the new RISC based architecture
>might be?
>
>				Sean Brunnock

Sure, I'll guess a Sparc-maker other than Sun (e.g., Solbourne).  Sun has
too much ego involvement with NeWS, Open Look, etc.  NeXTStep on the Sparc
architecture would be dynamite--the best software development environment on the
most popular workstation line!  It might turn NeXT into a software company,
but that's not all bad.

My second guess would be DEC using a MIPS RISC CPU.  DEC insists they're only
interested in standards, not NeXTStep, but they're bright enough to recognize
that NeXTStep is a quantum improvement over X toolkits.

My third guess would be IBM.  Since they're having trouble getting the RS/6000
to work (flaky C compiler, NeXTStep 2.0 a ***LONG*** time from now) they
could give NeXT the next generation RS/6000 chips (I would bet a minimum of
4 times faster than the current ones).

Finally, whatever happened to Daewoo, who was reported in July to be working
on a Leading Edge Next-compatible?

Any other guesses?  Or, better yet, anybody ***KNOW***?

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

--
Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Texas A & M University			uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Walter C. Daugherity) (11/11/90)

In article <1436@ul-cs.ulowell.edu> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:

>  I saw this in misc.jobs.offered...
[lines deleted]
>	2. The NeXT step Display Postscript Window Manager work will involve
>portint NeXT step to a new architecture. It is a RISC based architecture.
>  Would anyone care to venture a guess what the new RISC based architecture
>might be?
>
>				Sean Brunnock

Sure, I'll guess a Sparc-maker other than Sun (e.g., Solbourne).  Sun has
too much ego involvement with NeWS, Open Look, etc.  NeXTStep on the Sparc
architecture would be dynamite--the best software development environment on the
most popular workstation line!  It might turn NeXT into a software company,
but that's not all bad.

My second guess would be DEC using a MIPS RISC CPU.  DEC insists they're only
interested in standards, not NeXTStep, but they're bright enough to recognize
that NeXTStep is a quantum improvement over X toolkits.

My third guess would be IBM: they're having so much trouble getting the RS/6000
software to work (flaky C compiler, NeXTStep 2.0 who knows when), they might
just give NeXT the next generation RS/6000 chips (which I would bet are at
least 4 times faster than the present ones).

And what ever happened to the Computerworld report in July that Daewoo was
making a NeXT-compatible Leading Edge?

Any other guesses?  Or, better yet, anybody ***KNOW***?

Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Knowledge Systems Research Center	uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
Texas A & M University			BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
College Station, TX 77843-3112		CSNET: daugher%cs.tamu.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---
--
Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Texas A & M University			uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher
College Station, TX 77843-3112	BITNET: DAUGHER@TAMVENUS
	---Not an official document of Texas A&M---

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (11/11/90)

In article <> sbrunnoc@hawk.ulowell.edu (Sean Brunnock) writes:
[ Description of a job announcement asking for somebody to work on
  porting NeXTstep to a RISC architecture. ]

>  Would anyone care to venture a guess what the new RISC based architecture
>might be?
>
>				Sean Brunnock

Heh.  HEH.  I'll give you one guess, and Scott McNeally won't like it a bit.

-
-John Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu
-(I don't work for NeXT, but wish I did.)