[comp.sys.next] More NeXT Questions Answered...

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (11/06/90)

Jim Cain (cs00jec@unccvax.uncc.edu) writes:

>Now that the decision is made, I would appreciate some e-mail detailing
>the NeXTstation, including hardware/software specs and reasonable
>educational prices. Also, what about the NeXT laser printer? What's the
>price? Are there any other printing options? Service bureau support?

NeXT's 68040-based products are, according to NeXT, 15 MIPS.
According to Motorola, they're a bit faster.  The NeXTstation Color is
slightly faster than the other two.  The list price on the NeXT Laser
Printer is about $1,795 - educational discounts apply.  The price on
the base (105 MB SCSI/2.88 MB Floppy/8 MB RAM) NeXTstation varies from
school to school - check with your local NeXT reseller or campus
consultant.

---

Eric Anderson (ea08+@andrew.cmu.edu) writes:

>I now have more questions.
>1. Can the Monochrome station be upgraded to a Color station?
>2. Is there any level of color available on the cube below the ~$4000
>NextDimension?  I would like say 256 colors out of 16Mil.  That would be
>sufficient for a while I'd expect.

The NeXTstation cannot be upgraded to the NeXTstation color.  That
decision was presumably made because the two most expensive parts of
the unit would need to be replaced: the motherboard and the monitor.

The NeXTdimension is the only color option available for the NeXTcube
at this time.

---

Adam Houston (cs64faz@sdcc18.ucsd.edu) writes:

>Will Release 2.0 of the system software run on an older cube with a
>68030 processor like the ones that BusinessLand is currently dumping
>for really great prices!!)?  I also heard that rel. 2.0 also takes up
>about 275 MB.  I saw a system upgrade is available on Optical disk,
>but would the new release fit on an optical disk (256MB)?

Yes, NeXTstep v2.0 will run on a NeXTcube 68030.

>Basically, I'd just like to grab an older cube with Optical disk
>(about $2800 from BusinessLand's current firesale) and install rel.
>2.0 on the optical disk.  Is this feasible?  The discussion running
>lately has started to sound like you won't be able to get any of the
>programming stuff unless you have about 340MB of disk space.

To legally run NeXTstep v2.0, you MUST buy a license.  This is not
due to NeXT, but due to the fact that you are using a kernel which
still has some remnants of AT&T UNIX code in it - AT&T wants their
license fee.

Once you purchase this, you are entitled to run any of the NeXTstep
v2.0 applications.  The easiest way to get this is to purchase the
NeXTstep v2.0 upgrade on OD for $195 - this includes an optical disk
(~$150), so you are essentially purchasing the upgrade for only $45-
less than 1% of the cost of a $5,000 system.

Naturally, all of NeXTstep v2.0 will fit on an optical disk.  Don't
believe everything you read on here.

---

Mark Interrante (mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu) writes:

>Can someone please send me the list of new features/enhancements in
>2.0?
>
>When is it supposed to ship?

* Much improved Workspace Manager (multi-threaded)
  File Viewer replaces Browser, copy/size/move/delete now in background
* Some Apps are now in color $-)
* Improved bundled Apps
  Especially Digital Librarian, Icon, Interface Builder...
* AFM included (for faster font rendering)
* Better app launching time
* Less swapping
* Apps use shared libraries
* More bundled Apps
  Automata, Ensemble, ForYourEyesOnly, FractalTrees, Gourmet,
  ShowAndTell, Zilla, PendulumLab
* Much improved AppKit/MusicKit/SoundKit
* Integrated Terminal/Shell
* Improved administrative utilities

When should it ship?  Well, all 68040 NeXT products require it...

---

A plea:  Please, please read the back messages on this newsgroup
before asking questions which were answered in the past few weeks.

Also, you may want to check with NeXT Telebusiness (800/848-NeXT) or
your local NeXT representative/campus consultant/computer store for
the "definitive answer" - on brochures.

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (11/12/90)

In article <Nov.6.08.43.50.1990.8346@remus.rutgers.edu> declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) writes:
>Adam Houston (cs64faz@sdcc18.ucsd.edu) writes:
>>for really great prices!!)?  I also heard that rel. 2.0 also takes up
>>about 275 MB.  I saw a system upgrade is available on Optical disk,
>>but would the new release fit on an optical disk (256MB)?
>
>Naturally, all of NeXTstep v2.0 will fit on an optical disk.  Don't
>believe everything you read on here.

Both can be true, just consider the space saved with compression. Also
many apps use up more space once they are installed (think of TeX
fonts).

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet