[comp.sys.next] backup of hard disk

kjh@aludra.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (11/10/90)

How does one backup one's hard disk?   On floppies?  How long does it
take?  If you have a station, I assume you can't put a tape drive in;
is it possible to get an external SCSI tape drive?  Does such an animal
exist?  Do the drivers exist in the kernnel?

--
favorite oxymorons: military intelligence, honest politician, civil war
Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (11/11/90)

In article <13089@chaph.usc.edu> kjh@aludra.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>How does one backup one's hard disk?   On floppies?  How long does it
>take?  If you have a station, I assume you can't put a tape drive in;
>is it possible to get an external SCSI tape drive?  Does such an animal
>exist?  Do the drivers exist in the kernnel?
>
>--
>favorite oxymorons: military intelligence, honest politician, civil war
>Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6       kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

For anyone who has a backup medium, this shouldn't be a major issue.
Here's my suggestion for someone with a floppy+hard-drive system:
- Buy NeXT's distribution on floppies.
- Keep copies of your /usr/local/..., /Local... stuff
- Do regular backups of /Users/<allUsers>

Axel
-- Axel Merk	                "One needs a certain amount of blindness  --
-- agm@cs.brown.edu              to see perfection" - Christopher Nuzum   --
-- phone/fax (401)272 2262 Brown University  Box 53  Providence  RI 02912 --

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/11/90)

I don't own a NeXT, but let me say, NeXT is very intelligent to
implement a 2.88Mb floppy drive in their machine.  With such a device,
backup is just 37-112 floppies away (depending on whether you have a
105Mb or a 330Mb drive).

Believe it or not, this is realistic to do.  I back up an 80Mb Mac
disk with 800K floppies.  It's a royal drag to stuff 70 floppies in
the machine (I have about 57Mb in use), but was not too bad putting 30
floppies in, when the machine was young.

I have always believed in some formula for personal computers --

(1) Floppy drive should be as large as main memory (NeXT did all they
    could to achieve this, given current standards).
(2) All of main memory should be readable in approximately 1 second.
(3) Hard disk should be configured to be 50% larger than necessary to
    hold all applications and data files.  This is because of the high
    cost of garbage collection (deleting unneeded files).  It is
    counterproductive to manage a disk that is constantly near the
    threshold of being full.
(4) Virtual Memory only doubles main memory; beyond this, performance
    suffers too much to make virtual memory worthwhile.
(5) The CPU should execute 5 IPS for every bit of data displayed on
    the screen (the 68040 NeXT does 8 IPS for the b/w display).

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (11/12/90)

In <61300044@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Believe it or not, this is realistic to do.  I back up an 80Mb Mac
>disk with 800K floppies.  It's a royal drag to stuff 70 floppies in
>the machine (I have about 57Mb in use), but was not too bad putting 30
>floppies in, when the machine was young.

>I have always believed in some formula for personal computers --

>(1) Floppy drive should be as large as main memory (NeXT did all they
>    could to achieve this, given current standards).

Actually, they COULD have gone with Insight's new 20Mb floppy 3.5 inch
drive!  Yeah, the same type of floppies you use in your regular
drives, except a special coating I believe, AND compatible with
existing drives too, if memory serves.  Now THAT would have been doing
all they could to acheive that standard, as well as giving us a great,
cheap, large distribution medium!

-k

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (11/12/90)

>> Actually, they COULD have gone with Insight's new 20Mb floppy 3.5 inch
>> drive!  Yeah, the same type of floppies you use in your regular
>> drives, except a special coating I believe, AND compatible with
>> existing drives too, if memory serves.

It is a different media, but interestingly, it is the *same* media required
by the 2.88M drives.  It uses special hexagonal crystals of barium-oxides
(if memory serves) so as to have a highly regular structure for vertical
magnetization.  And, as you mention, you can still use the media in old
drives, or new drives with old recording methods.

I'd lay fairly good odds that NeXT will go the higher density drives when
the reliability has been established.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

bb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (11/12/90)

writes:

> How does one backup one's hard disk?  On floppies?  How long does it
> take?  If you have a station, I assume you can't put a tape drive in;
> is it possible to get an external SCSI tape drive?  Does such an
> animal exist?  Do the drivers exist in the kernnel?

Please see my earlier flame to Bruce Jasmer for details on specific
schemes for backing up disks under UNIX - there is no need to repeat
them here.

But first, some philosophy (Workstations 101):

A NeXTCube (and the original '030 cube) is designed such that it can
run as a stand-alone machine.  There is sufficient disk space to hold
all the software NeXT supplies, as well as some room for new software.
There is a disk device designed to hold the user's files (the
floptical), and because of its nature it could hold as much data as
the user generated by the extremely cheap operation of purchasing
another floptical.  The floptical is also of sufficient size to serve
as the system backup device, so that you can back up your hard drive
without swapping floppies 330 / 2.8 = 118 times.  This is good.

Then came the NeXTStation.  It is clearly designed to perform as a
part of a bigger network.  There is enough hard drive space to make it
boot (turn on, power up, and say hello) and swap (pretend that hard
disk space is really memory space) locally, two things necessary for
sanity and performance.  While it does not have a bus for connection
of a backup device, nor chassis space to expand the hard drive, it is
smaller and cuter, and costs a lot less than a NeXTCube.  If the
NeXTStation is configured as part of a network of NeXTs, it may NFS
mount (use files on another machine like they were its own, via the
network) the rest of the NeXT software distribution from a NeXTCube
machine, called a "server", that *does* have lots of disk space.  The
server also will have provisions like a floptical drive (or two or
three) for backing up each machine in the network, including the
NeXTStations.  This is great; the average price per user "seat" is a
lot less, necessities like backups are centralized, and hence more
likely to get done regularly, and the load of configuration management
for lots of machines is simpler.

A sufficiently knowledgeable user may make a standalone system for
himself out of a cheaper NeXTStation, and a third-party hard drive and
tape.  However, said user should not bug NeXT about providing backup
or bus options for the NeXTStation.  They already have.  I am sorry
that the price of a standalone system is not cheaper (oh, am I
sorry!), but right now that's the way it is.

I wish NeXT would produce some sort of literature promoting the price,
power, and connectivity gains of setting up products in a networked
fashion.  They have already created a fantastic tool to manage machine
configurations across the network (Netinfo).  It's a shame that it
can't be used to its full advantage when connecting a NeXT to
different brands of products, but at least the NeXT will work well
with the other protocols.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Brian Bartholomew	UUCP:       ...gatech!uflorida!mathlab.math.ufl.edu!bb
University of Florida	Internet:   bb@math.ufl.edu
--

scott@NIC.GAC.EDU (11/12/90)

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes (in response to someone):
>>> Actually, they COULD have gone with Insight's new 20Mb floppy 3.5 inch
>>> drive!  Yeah, the same type of floppies you use in your regular
>>> drives, except a special coating I believe, AND compatible with
>>> existing drives too, if memory serves.
>
>It is a different media, but interestingly, it is the *same* media required
>by the 2.88M drives.  It uses special hexagonal crystals of barium-oxides
>(if memory serves) so as to have a highly regular structure for vertical
>magnetization.  And, as you mention, you can still use the media in old
>drives, or new drives with old recording methods.
>
>I'd lay fairly good odds that NeXT will go the higher density drives when
>the reliability has been established.

How soon we forget (not you, Mark, but most everyone).  What was one
of the _biggest_ complaints about the original NeXT?  Non-standard
distribution media.  Expensive, slow, ODs were not the "floppies-for-
the-rest-of-us".

I like them.  They are very nice for archival storage.  So are WORM drives.
and WORMs are safer.  And the latest batch are essentially write-once
CD-ROMs.

Back to floppies - 2.88M is the NeXT PC industry standard.  This means
that _everyone_ out there will support them - PC clones to Macs,
right on to Suns, I'm sure.  From talking with various NeXT and NeXT-
related people, I think NeXT is fairly aware that they burned themselves
with the optical drives.  And I think they are concerned about making the
same mistake again.

I suspect that, at least with respect to distribution media, NeXT
is going to follow the market from here on out.  Which I think is
just fine.  2.88M is not very large, but it works, and works with
older formats.  The higher density drives are all in about the
same boat - they work with older formats, plus their own.  The
problem is that they _don't_ read 2.88M, yet.  So they aren't
the greatest.  Also, 2.88M is a very small step forward, and thus
should work well, because the manufacturers have plenty of experience
with the current batch of drives.

You can _always_ go out and grab a WORM or 20M 3.5" floppy and hang it
off your scsi.  Hopefully, we'll have people writing decent drivers
for them, too (WORMs especially.  Sure, they're scsi, but the
write-onceness of them make for some interesting characteristics
when imposing a file system over them).

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (11/12/90)

In article <25377@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, bb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) writes:

> Please see my earlier flame to Bruce Jasmer for details on specific
> schemes for backing up disks under UNIX - there is no need to repeat
> them here.

I assume you mean Bryce Jasmer?

> But first, some philosophy (Workstations 101):

> ... The floptical is also of sufficient size to serve
> as the system backup device, so that you can back up your hard drive
> without swapping floppies 330 / 2.8 = 118 times.  This is good.

The full release of NeXT's operating system takes about 210 MB.  With
some swap space, you'll only have about 100 MB of usable space to back
up, which, at 35 floppies, is still a bit much.

> I wish NeXT would produce some sort of literature promoting the price,
> power, and connectivity gains of setting up products in a networked
> fashion.

I find it rather hard to believe that the professor teaching NeXT
Workstations 101 has never read any of NeXT's new literature.  Haven't
you seen the fifteen-page white brochure with Steve on the cover,
along with this quote: "...In the 1990s, competitive advantage will
come from improving the productivity of entire groups, so they can
stay ahead of a world that's changing faster than ever..."

Or the brochure's centerfold, devoted to "Personal Computing becomes
Interpersonal Computing."

What you described is exactly what NeXT is selling: the idea of
"Interpersonal Computing" and the productivity gains which accompany
it...  The concept is quite vague, but it fits NeXT's products and
direction perfectly.  Take a look at the brochures - they describe
it well.

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (11/12/90)

In article <> bb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) writes:
>Then came the NeXTStation.  It is clearly designed to perform as a
>part of a bigger network.  There is enough hard drive space to make it
>boot (turn on, power up, and say hello) and swap (pretend that hard
>disk space is really memory space) locally, two things necessary for
>sanity and performance.  While it does not have a bus for connection
>of a backup device, nor chassis space to expand the hard drive, it is
>smaller and cuter, and costs a lot less than a NeXTCube.

OK.  Once more, this is your brain on NeXT...

The way you connect a backup device to a standalone NeXTstation is
either:  A.  Buy an external tape drive that plugs into the SCSI
             port.  (This is the "bus" you claim doesn't exist.)

         B.  Live with backing up to floppies.  (We assume at this
             point that dump under NeXTstep 2.0 is smart enough
             enough to handle floppies correctly.  Or that somebody
             will quickly write a backup utility.)

Check out the latest 3rd party products catalog (you do have one, right?)
for companies selling external tape drives.  As far as expanding the hard
drive, that same SCSI port (It is AMAZINGLY handy, isn't it?) will allow
you to plug in an external hard drive.

>The
>server also will have provisions like a floptical drive (or two or
>three) for backing up each machine in the network, including the
>NeXTStations.

The original NeXTcube could only handle a single optical drive.
Has this changed with the '040 board?

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

bb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian Bartholomew) (11/12/90)

In article <14566@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn)
writes:

> OK.  Once more, this is your brain on NeXT...

I'm not sure I understand where you are coming from.  Certainly, for
the knowledeable user, there are alternatives to a straight NeXT
configuration.  I just don't understand the venom towards NeXT, when
they seem (to me at least) to have created a couple different
configurations, for a couple different purposes.

> (This is the "bus" you claim doesn't exist.)

I said bus, but it was muddy thinking.  The cpu/memory bus does not
show up, but the SCSI bus certainly does.  The NeXTStation is less
expandable, but it is certainly usefully expandable.

> Live with backing up to floppies.

Well, to each his own taste, I suppose.  I just find the idea of
switching fifty-odd floppies quite objectionable.  It will work.

> (We assume at this point that dump under NeXTstep 2.0 is smart enough
> enough to handle floppies correctly.  Or that somebody will quickly
> write a backup utility.)

Actually, the credit goes to the operating system, UNIX, not the
window manager, NeXTStep.  There is almost certainly a device driver
for the floppy, that lets you access it in "raw" mode.  This mode
makes the floppy look much like a magnetic tape.  I would expect dump
to work fine, spanning backups over diskettes, and prompting you when
the next one is needed.

> External SCSI add-ons.

Yes, you can turn a NeXTStation into a reasonable standalone.
Remember that with an external disk, in its own box, and an external
tape, in another box, you have just made a much less neat and
attractive system than both of the above in a NeXTCube.  You have also
considerably approached the price of a NeXTCube.  You certainly don't
have the same level of NeXT software support as you would get with a
cube (I am thinking of the optical options under the browser menu, and
the NeXT-provided disktab entries.)

> The original NeXTcube could only handle a single optical drive.  Has
> this changed with the '040 board?

Not that I was aware of.  I was thinking more along the lines of
multiple servers, each with their own floptical.  This redundancy can
be useful, to prevent loss of backup ability when your only floptical
drive goes bye-bye.  Tradeoffs like this depend on how big your
network is.

Thank you for catching my technical errors.  Since you seem to be
better informed as to third-party storage options than I am, perhaps I
could ask you to post a price comparison between between a NeXTCube,
and a fleshed-out NeXTStation.  I am quite curious myself to see how
much money saving is possible.