[comp.sys.next] To upgrade or not to upgrade...

herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) (11/12/90)

    I hope that I can generate a little discussion on this topic.  ( And
    BTW when I use the term upgrade, I am referring to the 040 upgrade,
    not the upgrade to NeXTStep 2.0.  I have decided to do the software
    upgrade anyway. )

    I have recently received my 030 cube, purchased during the Businessland
    fire sale.  Now I am considering my options for speeding the puppy up.
    It seems to me that the most obvious thing, and perhaps the first
    priority, is to put in a honking big hard drive, which I am prepared to
    do.  A large fast hard drive has many advantages in addition to speeding
    the machine up overall, as I am sure most people are aware.  But I have
    a question, how much of the slowness of program "launching" is due to
    the slowness of the OD, and how much is due to NeXTStep 1.0?  Will
    doing the upgrade to NeXTStep 2.0 help significantly, and assuming
    that installing a hard drive as the primary system device and upgrading
    to 2.0 speed the system up, how much more speedup and I likely to realize
    from upgrading to the 040 board?

    I am prepared to buy the 040 board if necessary.  However, if I don't or
    can put it off, I can purchase some software that I'd like to have.

    Some final, general, questions:

    1.  NeXTStep 2.0 will work on an 030 cube, will it not?

    2.  Other than sheer blinding speed, what are some other advantages to
        having the 040 upgrade?  ( Please discount getting Lotus Improve.
        I'm already weighting that as factor. ).

    3.  How long will 040 upgrades be offered?  Indefinately?

								- Max

William R. Herndon
Secure Computing Technology Corp.                  The opinions expressed are
                                                   mine, ALL MINE!  HEH, HEH,
herndon@sctc.com				   HEH, HEH!!!
(612) 482-7431

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.212910.2084@sctc.com>, herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) writes:

>     Some final, general, questions:
>
>     1.  NeXTStep 2.0 will work on an 030 cube, will it not?

NeXTstep 2.0 will work on the original NeXT computer.  You'll notice
a great improvement when launching applications, and more subtle ones
elsewhere in the system.

>     2.  Other than sheer blinding speed, what are some other advantages to
>         having the 040 upgrade?  ( Please discount getting Lotus Improve.
>         I'm already weighting that as factor. ).

How about a 10Base-T Ethernet connector, SCSI-II connector, hardware
flow control on serial ports (!).  And, of course, sheer blinding
speed.  $-)

Actually, as you probably know, UNIX is inherently disk-based, and not
everything will be improved by adding a faster CPU.  Now, NeXTstep, on
the other hand, is a memory hog [*], and an 8 MB NeXT is somewhat less
than adequate if you want superior performance.

So, in terms of user interface perofrmance, MIPS is only one-third the
solution.  For the best possible performance, you'll have to confront
those other two limiting factors (memory & drive speed).

>     3.  How long will 040 upgrades be offered?  Indefinately?

To the best of my knowledge, NeXT has not set a cutoff date.

-Declan

---

[*]  NeXTstep *is* a memory hog.  Here are some excerpts from a
process listing on my 16 MB system with just Terminal and Edit loaded:

USER       PID  %CPU %MEM VSIZE RSIZE TT STAT  TIME COMMAND
declan     140  11.0 23.5 5.71M 3.77M ?  S    35:38 - console (WindowServer)
declan     142   0.0 17.1 4.70M 2.74M ?  S     4:47 /usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace
root       141   0.0  6.1 2.65M 1000K ?  SW    0:02 - console (loginwindow)
root       113   0.0  1.5 1.26M  248K ?  S     0:00 /usr/etc/autonfsmount -tm
root       106   0.0  2.3 3.15M  384K ?  SW    0:00 /usr/lib/NextPrinter/npd
declan     143   0.0  0.8 1.23M  136K p0 S     0:00 Console Daemon

That's 8 MB of RAM used just by the user interface (actually, the
numbers indicated in the RSIZE field are misleading, but for the
purposes of comparison, they're useful).  Then, if you take into
account the few MB used for the UNIX end of things, you can probably
imagine that there's going to be a lot of swapping going on.

Then again, isn't it all worth it?  $-)

Declan McCullagh / NeXT Campus Consultant \ declan@remus.rutgers.edu

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (11/13/90)

Herndon) writes:

>>     2.  Other than sheer blinding speed, what are some other advantages to
>>         having the 040 upgrade?  ( Please discount getting Lotus Improve.
>>         I'm already weighting that as factor. ).
>
>How about a 10Base-T Ethernet connector, SCSI-II connector, hardware flow
>control on serial ports (!).  And, of course, sheer blinding speed.  $-)

Declan,
    since you've chosen to tout SCSI-II as one of the new NeXT's advantages,
perhaps you could summerize for the net the differences a 'typical' NeXT user
would see having SCSI-II instead of just SCSI  (besides not being able to
swipe a SCSI cable from the nearest Macintosh anymore ;-).  And can you relate
these differences to the disks that NeXT and others are currently selling?

Thanks,

- Christopher

-------