[comp.sys.next] next gnu-emacs via NCSA Telnet on a Mac...

banko@moskva.ks.uiuc.edu (11/13/90)

I am trying to use gnu-emacs via NCSA Telnet on a mac (II), and I can't
get out of it... The normal command for quitting is just C-x C-c, but
gnu-emacs doesn't seem to respond to this.  In fact, it doesn't seem to
matter from where I am running the terminal window (Communicae on a console,
or Telnet on a Mac)... I can never get out of emacs.  I have looked under
C-h Apropos quit & exit & end, but I am still stuck.
Does anybody have an idea what might be the problem?  Thanks.

Brad Banko

Brad Banko,  Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute
Dept of Physics, University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign
banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu, (217)-244-1851, 328-4932

In article <1990Nov12.220928.9505@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
	banko@moskva.ks.uiuc.edu writes:
>I am trying to use gnu-emacs via NCSA Telnet on a mac (II), and I can't
>get out of it... The normal command for quitting is just C-x C-c, but

NCSA Telnet for the Macintosh by default intercepts C-c (sends
telnet IP+SYNCH) and C-s/C-q (local suspend/resume).  Select
"setup keys" (command-s), erase the ^C and confirm.  You
probably want to zot the other two as well.  (Since I sometimes
dial up through a terminal server that zealously intercepts ^S/^Q
and implements neither the local flow control nor linemode
options, I put the following in my .emacs file:

(global-set-key "\C-\\" 'isearch-forward)
(global-set-key "\C-^" 'quoted-insert)
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-\\" 'save-buffer)
(global-set-key "\C-x\C-^" 'toggle-read-only)

and don't bother.)

					-=EPS=-