[comp.sys.next] High Capacity Hard Drive Prices

bmwu@athena.mit.edu (Benson M. Wu) (11/14/90)

	the following is a list of high capacity HD prices (600Mb)
according to the Nov. 6 issue of MacWeek.  I haven't bought any
driive from any of these companies.  I just thought  somebody would
be interested in the information.  I invite everyone who has
dealing with the mail order companies mentioned below  to comment
on his/her experience.  I  would also be interested to know
if anyone has successfully formatted these drives for the NeXT.

Company              Size      Access  time   Price(internal/external)
MacTel	Wren       600Mb       16 ms          1899/1999
1-800-950-8411

APS     Wren	   600Mb                      1849/2049
	Wren       630Mb                      2199/2399
1-800-233-7550

US Computer Merchants Wren 600 Mb             1849/1949
1-800-888-8779

Mac!Direct! Fujitsu 680Mb      16 ms          1848/1948 (5 year warranty)
            Wren    600Mb      		      1795/1895
1-800-621-8461

Club-Mac    Wren    600Mb      16.5 ms        1795/1875
	    Wren    676Mb      15.5 ms        2049/2129
1-800-CLUB-Mac

General Comments:

	The Wren drives all come with 1 year warranty.
	Club-Mac  formatted their drives for the Macintosh.
	I am not sure if these prices include connecting cables
	or not.  I know some  vendors definitely do, but I
	don't have MacWeek with him presently.

Questions:

	The Fujitsu HD seems like the best deal in terms of price,
and warranty.  I remember that people have posted in comp.sys.next
in the past complaining about it being too noisy.  I would like
to hear from others who have the drive about their experiences.
If a ready made disktab is available, that would be great, too.
Anybody has dealt with the mail-order company (Mac!Direct!) that
carries the Fujitsu HD?  Is it reputable like APS?
APS has received many rave reviews in  comp.sys.next and comp.sys.mac
but their external HD prices are $200 more than the internal HD.
Most companies charge $100 extra.

	Wren  speaks for itself.  It seems to be the standard other
HD are judged by.

	The Quantum 3.5" half-height HD(330Meg & 450 Meg) still have
not shipped yet.  Anyone knows when they are sipping?  Currently,
most 300Meg HD still cost $1300 or more.  The Quantum 330 HD  apparently is  priced at around $1300.  If it ships in quantity, I would expect
the 300 HD prices to fall significantly.  Until it  ships, the 600 HD
seems to be the best deal for price/performance ratio.

	Lastly, has anyone been able to hook up a Syquest drive
(removable 45 Meg cartridge) to the NeXT.  I am sure a lot of NeXT Station
owner would be interested.  It would be  a nice  way to back up a HD.
Backing up a 660 HD with a 2.8 floppy would take approximately 200
floppiies.  What a nightmare!

	Best regards,

	Benson Wu
	bmwu@athena.mit.edu

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (11/14/90)

On 13-Nov-90 in High Capacity Hard Drive Pr..
user Benson M. Wu@athena.mit. writes:
>	The Quantum 3.5" half-height HD(330Meg & 450 Meg) still have
>not shipped yet.  Anyone knows when they are sipping?  Currently,
>most 300Meg HD still cost $1300 or more.  The Quantum 330 HD
apparently is  pr
>iced at around $1300.  If it ships in quantity, I would expect
>the 300 HD prices to fall significantly.  Until it  ships, the 600 HD
>seems to be the best deal for price/performance ratio.

Does anyone know the phone number for quantum?  I didn't know they are
introducing a 450.  I'd like to call them about price, performance, and
avalibility.

Len