[comp.sys.next] APL,BASIC

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/13/90)

Well the title says it all. Are there any APL or BASIC
languages available for the NeXT?

In fact apart from C,Pascal and Fortran which languages
are available?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]
.

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (11/14/90)

>> Are there any APL or BASIC languages available for the NeXT?

Iverson (the guy who invented APL some 30 years ago) has come up
with a new language called J that has much of the power of APL2,
a cleaner syntax, an ASCII interface, and most importantly, is
really cheap.  It is written in C and is running on many machines,
including the NeXT.  It is still in an early phase, but even as it
is, I find it very useful (the alternative is Mathematica, which is
a major memory hog, so I only use it where it's strong---symbolic
and graphics work).

These guys are right in your town!  Here's the address(es):

Iverson Software Inc.                 Iverson Software Inc.
33 Major Street                       3512 Cameron Mills Road
Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5S 2K9     Alexandria, Virginia, USA  22305-1103
(416) 925 6096                        (703) 548 1799

It's $24!  (That's not a factorial.)  You can also get it via anonymous
ftp from watserv1.waterloo.edu in languages/apl/J, sans documentation.

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

wgilbert@aftermath.waterloo.edu (William Gilbert) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.194502.27179@nntp-server.caltech.edu> madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) writes:

>>> Are there any APL or BASIC languages available for the NeXT?
>
>Iverson (the guy who invented APL some 30 years ago) has come up
>with a new language called J that has much of the power of APL2,
>a cleaner syntax, an ASCII interface, and most importantly, is
>really cheap.
>
>It's $24!  (That's not a factorial.)  You can also get it via anonymous
>ftp from watserv1.waterloo.edu in languages/apl/J, sans documentation.
>
>Mark Adler
>madler@piglet.caltech.edu

I also put J on sonata.cc.purdue.edu under pub/next/binaries/APL.tar.Z

Will Gilbert,   NeXT mail: wgilbert@fatou.UWaterloo.ca

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (11/14/90)

I saw a version of Modula-2 in NeXT's latest Software and Peripherals
Book.  Eiffel is also being ported to the NeXT.  Many people claim
that it is one of the best software engineering languages available.
Check out comp.lang.eiffel for more info.

-Mike