[comp.sys.next] NeXT,Mac,NFS

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/13/90)

Is there an easy way to do the following?

I want to connect a Mac() to a NeXT cube over Ethernet and running
NFS. Then I want this Mac to be connected via Appletalk to a
LaserWriter and to an AppleIIGS over Appletalk.

That way, I would be able to back up the Mac to the NeXT optical.
I would be able to transfer NeXT generated PS files to the Mac
and then(using SendPS) to the LaserWriter and I would be able to
transfer GS files over Appletalk to the Mac and then to the NeXT
for backup onto an optical.

Is it enough to get some kind of Ethernet connection for the Mac and
a product called, I believe, Mac TCP/IP in order to accomplish this?

Finally, when recording sound on the NeXT it seems to save as an Edit
text file! Does one have to add an extension like ".snd" in order to
replay it on the NeXT?

Thank's. Questions now, maybe I'll know something in a year!

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

By the way: Is there a Basic for the NeXT?

reb@cs.brown.edu (Robert E. Brown) (11/14/90)

Wollongong has a Macintosh NFS client product that I have been using
for a few weeks.  It is a new product with plenty of interesting bugs,
but performs well if you do not do strange things.  Bugs I have
discovered include:

1.  Files created on the Next have the wrong date when seen by the
    Macintosh.

2.  The Wollongong software creates files in pseudo-AppleDouble
    format.  The way they store Macintosh creation date information in
    the file violates the AppleDouble spec.  The file naming conventions
    also violate the spec.

3.  The client software takes the free disk space on the NFS server
    modulo 64 Mb before reporting it to the Macintosh.  So if I have
    65 Mb free on my Next, the Macintosh thinks I have only 1 Mb of
    free space.  The finder will then refuse to copy folders that are
    larger than 1 Mb.

4.  The software is not as very clever when it comes to dealing with
    Unix files on the server that the Macintosh did not create.  The
    public domain CAP software will do newline conversion when it
    sees a file on the server with no finder info.

In spite of the above glitches, the product has been extremely useful.
It is worth the $195 that Wollongong is charging.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/14/90)

In article <56309@brunix.UUCP> reb@cs.brown.edu (Robert E. Brown) writes:

>Wollongong has a Macintosh NFS client product that I have been using
>for a few weeks.  It is a new product with plenty of interesting bugs,
>but performs well if you do not do strange things.  Bugs I have
>discovered include:

[some bugs, strange behaviour,etc...deleted]

What is required of the Mac? Do you need, for example, a gateway such
as a Gatorbox? If not then will this work with any Ethernet connection
to a Mac( such as the SCSI one from NuvoTech)?

Can the Mac see the optical? It isn't a SCSI device. Do you have an
address, phone #,etc...?

In the "bug report" you mention that it takes 64megs on the NeXT before
the Mac will see 1meg. I hope that after this is taken care of storage
is seen normally(i.e. the next 63megs can be handled normally)?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu