[comp.sys.next] net.honesty

paul@surf.sics.bu.oz.au (Paul Davis) (11/15/90)

THIS POSTING IS NOT ABOUT NEXT COMPUTERS BUT IS ABOUT THE NEXT COMMUNITY!

SKIP IT IF YOU WISH!

Declan writes:
>Paul, I have a signed agreement which says that everything was
>included in the purchase, including ODs.  If you have a problem with
>that, please take it to email, and don't clutter up the net with
>personal traffic.

I don't care about your signed agreement Declan.  What is the matter,
can't you bring yourself to lie in public?  Try: "I included the 3
optical disks you paid me for."  Surely you can convince yourself
that is true.  And as for cluttering the net, I think saving another
trusting soul a couple of hundred of dollars is worth the bytes, not
to mention bringing the topic of net.honesty up for discussion.

alex. - cs211s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu writes:
>it sounds to me like whoever you're flaming is contributing a lot more
>than you are.  why don't you try to redeem whatever shreds of
>self-respect you might still have, slink back to your hole, and not
>bother us again?"

Alex,
I thought he was pretty helpful too, but what's his motivation?
One assumes that someone so visible in comp.sys.next is to
be trusted somehow; but as you illustrate, anyone can post.  I'm hoping
that other potential victims do better.  You obviously are not in a
position to care about whether other people get victimized, nor are
you in a position to know the facts of the case.  Whatever.

Netters,
First of all, thanks to the netters that wrote with suggestions, offers
and condolences.  I don't think this guy is going to find another
victim here in comp.sys.next, which was partly my intention.  His
email has started working again too (amazing that!), but its obvious
from his mail and his post here that he's not going to make good;
so... look on the bright side of life:

Recommendations that I have for other overseas netters after
considering the mistakes I made:

1) Do business only with firms, they have a reputation to protect.

2) If you must do a swap or trade with a netter, see if you can find
   a knowledgable agent on the scene.  My agent didn't know any
   better and let himself be talked out of my goods at the time
   and still paid for them. ie. "He won't need those."

3) DON'T deal through e-mail.  Get the particulars of the deal on
   one sheet of physical paper, in writing, signed.

4) Realize that if anything goes wrong, there probably isn't any
   international legal remedies worth the cost so whoever has the
   cash (or goods) is going to get off scot-free.

If anyone else has constructive suggestions or experiences please email
and I will include them in a monthly anti-fraud posting for new netters.
It is probably inevitable and desirable that netters take advantage of
the news to trade bits.  An ounce of prevention...

Yours Truly, (fuck it, flame away!)
paul

--
Paul Davis   Internet: paul@terrapin.bus.bu.oz.au
P.O. Box 65  School of Business  Bond University  QLD 4229 AUSTRALIA

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (11/15/90)

In article <1387@surf.sics.bu.oz.au>, paul@surf.sics.bu.oz.au (Paul Davis) writes:

> I don't care about your signed agreement Declan.  What is the matter,
> can't you bring yourself to lie in public?  Try: "I included the 3
> optical disks you paid me for."  Surely you can convince yourself
> that is true.  And as for cluttering the net, I think saving another
> trusting soul a couple of hundred of dollars is worth the bytes, not
> to mention bringing the topic of net.honesty up for discussion.

You don't care about a document which says "I received this?"  Strange.

I wanted to keep this off the net, but it seems that you're quite
insistent it remain here.  Fine.

You paid me for two optical disks.  I gave you two.  This was back in
August.  Now, months later, I hear that only one arrived.  I find that
extremely hard to believe - that and the fact that you couldn't even
call me and tell me this.

The disk may have been lost in shipment, but I'm not so sure of that.
In my opinion, with your talk of "net.honesty", you're merely trying
to get me to buy another OD and send it to you.  That's equivalent to
the person who buys a computer from a company and says "I only got 2
MB of RAM installed, not 4 MB," and the company dutifully sends out
another two.

Unfortunately, I'm not that company, and I can't afford to indulge
you.  If, by flaming me, you think that I'm going to send you an OD
that you didn't pay for, you're quite wrong.  Sorry.

You have some very valid recommendations; I applaud them.  It's a shame
you feel this way, but obviously nothing I can do is going to change
that - or perhaps you'll stop when you realize that you're not going
to be able to victimize me as - according to you - you were.

-Declan