[comp.sys.next] file transfer sun<-->NeXT

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (11/14/90)

As the happy new owner of a home NeXT, naturally my first priority is
to be able to move various stuff between it and my office
net-connected Sun. That involves transferring files (sometimes rather
large ones) between the two machines over the phone. What are my
options?  Basic connectivty is provided by tip, but tip's ~t/~p file
transfer is only useful for comparatively short ascii files. Kermit is
agonizingly slow. The base zmodem programs rz/sz don't run within tip.
What else is there? Maybe someone has written something comparable to
Zterm for the mac? I can't find anything in the archives on
sonata.cc.purdue.edu that looks like a plausible candidate (though
many of the names are less than transparent, in the absence of
abstracts). The only commercial thing I find in the catalogue is
Communicae, which doesn't seem to support zmodem: can anyone report on
whether this (a) actually exists; (b) is worth the money?

Steve Anderson

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (11/15/90)

In article <ANDERSON.90Nov14094724@sapir.cog.jhu.edu> anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:

>As the happy new owner of a home NeXT, naturally my first priority is
>to be able to move various stuff between it and my office
>net-connected Sun. That involves transferring files (sometimes rather
>large ones) between the two machines over the phone. What are my
>options?    <etc>
>
>Steve Anderson

I assume you have a cube with either an Optical or Floppy(?).
The easiest thing is to 'ftp' to another computer on your net
at the university and "carry it home'(the disk not the net).

Here I go to one of the public NeXT computers in the library
and ftp to my OD. If you have a PC compatiable floppy, you could
use any PC (that has ftp).

Good luck,
Charlie

dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dennis Glatting) (11/15/90)

In article <ANDERSON.90Nov14094724@sapir.cog.jhu.edu>, anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:

|> As the happy new owner of a home NeXT, naturally my first priority is
|> to be able to move various stuff between it and my office
|> net-connected Sun. That involves transferring files (sometimes rather
|> large ones) between the two machines over the phone. What are my
|> options?  Basic connectivty is provided by tip, but tip's ~t/~p file
|> transfer is only useful for comparatively short ascii files. Kermit is
|> agonizingly slow. The base zmodem programs rz/sz don't run within tip.
|> What else is there? Maybe someone has written something comparable to
|> Zterm for the mac? I can't find anything in the archives on
|> sonata.cc.purdue.edu that looks like a plausible candidate (though
|> many of the names are less than transparent, in the absence of
|> abstracts). The only commercial thing I find in the catalogue is
|> Communicae, which doesn't seem to support zmodem: can anyone report on
|> whether this (a) actually exists; (b) is worth the money?
|>
|> Steve Anderson

set up a uucp connection.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg      | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.WEC.COM     | X2NeXT developer