[comp.sys.next] XNeXT problem

tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan) (11/16/90)

Greetings,

I just got my NeXT from the businessland deal, and copied off XNeXT
off a machine onto a /XNeXT directory on the optical disk.  However,
I am having trouble getting it to work.

Firstly, I type Xinstall to set up the symbolic links, and then use
XNeXT -su -sb as described in the README file to start the server.
A X Server window did pop up, but with one error "Could not find font
Fixed".  Am I missing something here?

Next, I try uwm& from a terminal window.  This where the major problem
is.  I get a XIO error...broken pipe etc, in short, uwm didn't run and
the X Server window also closed an exited.

Any help or pointers to help docs will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
ph tan
tph@cs.utexas.edu,  UT Austin, CS Dept

doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) (11/16/90)

In article <205@qt.cs.utexas.edu> tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan) writes:
>Firstly, I type Xinstall to set up the symbolic links, and then use
>XNeXT -su -sb as described in the README file to start the server.
>A X Server window did pop up, but with one error "Could not find font
>Fixed".  Am I missing something here?

	This is likely due to your .Xdefaults file (you have one?) which
	specifies what fonts each X application will use.  There must be
	an entry for a font "Fixed" (is it capitalized in the error msg?).
	Most standard X systems have a "fixed" font...but I notice that XNeXT
	does not come with it.  Remove all references to that font, and change
	them to something like "9x15".

>Next, I try uwm& from a terminal window.  This where the major problem
>is.  I get a XIO error...broken pipe etc, in short, uwm didn't run and
>the X Server window also closed an exited.

	My uwm does not work either.  I have seen many reports about this,
	but no fixes.  Use twm.

	Several brand-new servers are scheduled to be released in the not-too-
	distant future.  I would suggest just getting along with XNeXT for the
	time being.

------
Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu