[comp.sys.next] NeXT hypercard analogues

hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) (11/09/90)

I have been informed that there is no analogue to hypercard for
the NeXT.

Does anyone have a different understanding?

Are there partial analogues, and what experience have people
had with them?

dan

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov9.070607.13585@Neon.Stanford.EDU> hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
>I have been informed that there is no analogue to hypercard for
>the NeXT.
>
>Does anyone have a different understanding?

My understanding is that HyperCube is a reasonable analogue of
HyperCard. Supposedly, it even runs HyperCard stacks. Check
the fall software and peripherals catalog in the multimedia
and hypermedia section. If anyone else has other information
(like whether this software is any good, whether it can show
more than one stack window at a time, etc.) I would appreciate
their posting it, because I'm considering buying it.

vehaag@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Viktor Haag) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov9.070607.13585@Neon.Stanford.EDU> hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
>I have been informed that there is no analogue to hypercard for
>the NeXT.
>
>Does anyone have a different understanding?

According to the Fall '90 Software and Peripherals manual from NeXT, there is a
Hypercard analogue called HyperCube, that acts as far as I could tell from the
advert in a very similar manner (if nothing else the terms used for the app and
the app's 'scripting language' - CubeTalk I think or something similar - were
very suggestive of the HyperCard product).  HyperCube has its own scripting
language (cf) and the screen shot makes it look a lot like the Mac product.

IMO this would be nice but I really hope that its not a Mac app moved to the
NeXT environment.  For example, I hope that the card size is not limited to a
9" area (same size as the small Mac screen).

HyperCube claims to be compatible with HyperCard though (scripts will port, and
I think that the actual stacks will too, but I am unsure on this last one), so
I bet that pesky 9" limit will be there for now.

I personally would be very interested in this product.

vik
--
	"We murder to dissect"
		Wordsworth

jad@lanl.gov (John De Vries) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov9.184957.14763@watdragon.waterloo.edu> vehaag@crocus.uwaterloo.ca (Viktor Haag) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.070607.13585@Neon.Stanford.EDU> hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
>>I have been informed that there is no analogue to hypercard for
>>the NeXT.
>>
>>Does anyone have a different understanding?
>
>According to the Fall '90 Software and Peripherals manual from NeXT, there is a
>Hypercard analogue called HyperCube

By Thoughtful Software (or some such name) and it IS VAPORWARE!  I
called them about 3 weeks ago and got a "maybe 1st quarter 1991" or
so, but I don't think it'll be that soon.  Yeah, it is in the catalog,
but no such software is shipping.

Which is too bad, 'cuz I could have used it too!

John deVries (just back from the NeXT Developer's Camp, which was
              THOROUGHLY worth the money!!)
jad@lanl.gov

poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) (11/16/90)

I think that this presents another example of the utility of the
capabilities that come with UNIX, as pointed out by another poster.
Although it doesn't do everything that a hypertext system does,
a great many of the applications that Hypercard and Hypertalk are
used for on a Mac require no special software on a UNIX system like
the NeXT because the shells do them just fine. A lot of people
think they need something like Hypercard just to write scripts because
they have never used a system with a programmable command interpreter.

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (11/17/90)

In article <16441@csli.Stanford.EDU> poser@csli.stanford.edu (Bill Poser) writes:
>I think that this presents another example of the utility of the
>capabilities that come with UNIX, as pointed out by another poster.

I don't dispute the utility of UNIX, and I'm certainly enjoying all the
useful tools that come with the NeXT cube. However, I also like HyperCard
and its clones. They make it real easy to knock together a working
tool that has an arbitrary bitmap (or in some cases vector graphic)
as its interface. It's sort of like having a paint program that has
a simple shell language built into it. I still think that, when you
come right down to it, Xerox Notecards is whizzier and more powerful,
but I like having this thing that I can use to whip up some set of
graphical things that execute commands, and that I can use instantly,
as soon as the drawing is done.
  With that in mind, I called up Thoughful Software and asked about
HyperCube. They said that they think it'll ship in March, that they plan
to charge under $500, and that they plan to support all the
behavior of Apple's HyperCard 2.0 and then some. Extensions that
they plan to support are the full 32-bit color model of the color
machines and  interfaces to the Sound and Music Kits. They also plan
to support something equivalent to XCMDs and XFCNs for extending the
capabilities of the product. We discussed typed linking a la Notecards,
and the rep said that they had no specific plans, but that typed links
were being considered.
  I'll be real interested to see this product; if it looks good, I'll
probably buy a copy.