[comp.sys.next] mfrc program - Questions?

neil@ms.uky.edu (Neil Greene) (11/17/90)

Anyone that has used the mfrc program to convert macintosh fonts to the next
cube, please respond.

As of right now, I have received several libraries of AFM library files from
adobe.com.  I am still a little unsure what files I need to get from the
macintosh in order to re-create the fonts on the next.

Could someone explain that has gotten this to work.

tsui@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) (11/17/90)

In article <neil.658780991@s.ms.uky.edu> neil@ms.uky.edu (Neil Greene) writes:
| As of right now, I have received several libraries of AFM library files from
| adobe.com.  I am still a little unsure what files I need to get from the

Are you saying you received AFM files from adobe.com?  That is not
very useful.  All you need the mac version of Adobe Fonts(expensive) ,
not the Font Matrix files(Free).  You can let NeXT to generate the AFM
files for you ( A wonderful netter mailed me a postscript tool ).
Most of the conversion works.  You can even convert those Mac type 3
fonts(generated by Fontgrapher2.3) and use them for display.  However,
I have trouble to get them to print on NeXT printers (Laserwriters are
fine).  Any suggestions?

I am still a little bit concerned about the copyright issue
on the fonts...  (BTW, you can grab some very nice shareware or PD ps
fonts from 35.1.1.43, read comp.fonts for more info...)

--yufeng
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  IIII
Yufeng Tsui, UCS of Indiana University. Bloomington , IN  47405      UU II UU
{att,ames,rutgers,purdue}!iuvax!copper!tsui                           U II U
tsui@indiana.edu, tsui@wood1.ucs.indiana.edu (NeXT mail)              U II U
tsuiy@iubacs.bitnet (forwarded)                                         UU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  IIII

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (11/18/90)

>I am still a little bit concerned about the copyright issue
>on the fonts...

I talked to someone at Adobe, and was told that as long as I had legal
ownership to the fonts, I could use them, regardless of the platform I
use.

I specifically informed the woman I spoke with about the program macfonts2next.
I told her that I owned several fonts for the Mac. She said that, as long
I didn't sell my fonts when I sell my Mac, I can transfer the fonts to the
NeXT with no worries.

I guess that if I tried to use the fonts on both machines, that would be a
problem.

Hope this helped...

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan,MDC Designs, University of Merryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu