[comp.sys.next] Mathematica feature?

schneidj@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (John B. Schneider) (11/18/90)

I thought Mathematica could accommodate line breaks (introduced with
the RETURN key).  However, I get the incorrect results from the following
simple addition.  What am I missing?

In[1]:=

.5
+ 1.

Out[1]
1.

I know that putting the operator at the end of the first line will
give the correct result.  As in

In[2]:=

.5 +
1.

Out[2]
1.5

But when adding a column of numbers, it is nice to have the +/- sign
immediately before the argument.

--
John B. Schneider
schneidj@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu

rgc@wam.umd.edu (Ross Garrett Cutler) (11/18/90)

In article <9011172105.AA04805@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu> schneidj@NEXTASY2.EECS.WSU.EDU (John B. Schneider) writes:
>I thought Mathematica could accommodate line breaks (introduced with
>the RETURN key).  However, I get the incorrect results from the following
>simple addition.  What am I missing?
>
>In[1]:=
>
>.5
>+ 1.
>
>Out[1]
>1.
>
>I know that putting the operator at the end of the first line will
>give the correct result.  As in
>
>In[2]:=
>
>.5 +
>1.
>
>Out[2]
>1.5
>
>But when adding a column of numbers, it is nice to have the +/- sign
>immediately before the argument.
>
>--
>John B. Schneider
>schneidj@nextasy2.eecs.wsu.edu

Mathematica will wait for additional input if it you don't have a complete
expression when you press <return>.  It is therefore a common trick to
start with a "(", enter a lot of stuff, and then end with a ")".  Of
course, on the NeXT, you need to end with a shift-return.  Hope this
helps...

--
Please email -- I'll summarize.
Ross Cutler