[comp.sys.next] Shareware: think of it as wasting your time

saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Kevin Saunders) (11/17/90)

In article <1010@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>responding to the article in which I wrote:
>>                                I never broadcast a truly debugged
>>version (except to those who sent the $25)
>
>You're not alone at this.  If I pick up an early, buggy shareware
>release, odds are I'm going to erase it soon after.  I'm not going
          ^^^^^^^^
>to send you $25 because you might be "hoarding" a working copy.
                             ^^^^^
   Thanks a lot for the gratuitous insult; you're a real credit to the
net.  I wasn't hoarding squat; the bugs were pretty minor, not
fatal, which is pretty good for fairly early Macintosh software.
Plenty of commercial Mac software has nastier bugs.  Next time
EMAIL BEFORE YOU FLAME because you MAY BE MISTAKEN.  The few who
had sent me money DESERVED the debugged version; I didn't think
anybody else did; I decided I'd better focus on work which pays,
ugly though that may be.

   "Oh, the wicked author of shareware, what an *unscrupulous*
character--trying to trick me into paying for this buggy software!
Why, this character actually distributed it across the globe, free of
protection schemes, free for me to examine, and judge for *myself*
whether the software is functional.  But I have found--my God, I must
cross myself a few more times--this software has bugs!  There are
features that don't quite work right!  What a *scoundrel*!  I'll keep
this, I'll use it, but I WON'T PAY!"

   Fundamentally, I agree with RMS on this issue:  software is a free
good (which doesn't mean it's not valuable--try breathing the air
sometime!--but you'll have one hell of a time trying to *charge* people
for it).  To use microeconomic jargon, the marginal cost of the next
copy of a piece of software approaches zero, since the very nature of
the computer medium is to make duplication cheap.  Software theft is
pandemic, and will stay that way even if the government declares a War
On Theft (clearly too unoriginal a concept for our government to consider).

   The way to make money from software is to provide little online help
and make it more difficult to use than it needs to be--like, say,
MicroSoft Word--so users have to buy a manual (from *you*)--or to get
such a broad distribution through bundling it (the Osborne/NeXT
approach, practiced on the original Mac but abandoned at the behest of
MicroSludge, whoops, MicroSoft) that a million tiny royalty
payments will add up to something substantial.

   As I said, it became *very* clear from net discussion of the
profitability of shareware that almost *no* users would actually pay
for it, debugged or not.  That's why there are *no* major shareware
packages.  You yourself have apparently just confessed
that you don't pay for *all* the shareware you keep, because the
programmer "might" be hoarding a better version.

   As I said, shareware doesn't work as a concept because
so many people feel entitled, one way or another, to use it without
paying for it.

   *Including you,* if I read you post correctly.

   I won't post any more on this topic, which doesn't exactly belong in
comp.sys.next.  I hope EPS will restrain himself from flaming those who
reveal an inordinate faith in human nature and distribute software in
the form of shareware.  EPS is a real altruist for distributing his
swiftly completed software freely; he is mistaken in believing that
this qualifies him to dump on others who are perhaps not as
well-situated employment-wise and would like some bread to feed their
family in return for their efforts.

   Human nature sucks.  Let's start another war over our disagreements
about what exactly is wrong with it!

   Sincerely,
   kevin

--

Kevin Eric Saunders
   cqu@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu

rsw@cs.brown.EDU (Bob Weiner) (11/17/90)

This discussion has nothing in particular to do with NeXT computers
but it originated here and from recent discussions clearly touches on
issues of concern to people who read this group (the price, quality and
availablity of useful software).

>    The way to make money from software is to provide little online help
> and make it more difficult to use than it needs to be--like, say,
> MicroSoft Word--so users have to buy a manual (from *you*)--or to get
> such a broad distribution through bundling it (the Osborne/NeXT
> approach, practiced on the original Mac but abandoned at the behest of
> MicroSludge, whoops, MicroSoft) that a million tiny royalty
> payments will add up to something substantial.

This is simply an immature view.  While it is true that some commercial
software houses worry about people copying their manuals (both by
xeroxing and by electronic duplication), successful businesses do not
depend on making products that are 'more difficult to use than they need
to be.'  (One might ask about IBM, but IBM has always known that its
money comes from service not products per se, and so compatibility often
takes precedence over usability.)

Software today typically is too expensive for individuals due to high
costs of development and marketing and investor expectations of large
returns.  This expense however does not deter individual desire to
procure software.  The result is that individuals violate license
agreements by duplicating software and software companies market mainly
to other companies where they have a chance of maintaining a useful
margin.

Two solutions are apparent.  Drive the cost of development down (here's
the NeXT tie-in) so that software can be made affordable for
individuals.  Realistically, the technology to remove the skilled human
intensiveness from software development is over fifteen years away.  The
second is to segment the market the way the telephone operating
companies do: one rate for businesses; a lower one for individuals.
This is unlikely to be popular with software developers because the
support needs are reversed from that of the telephone industry.
Individuals using software are often less well trained than their
corporate counterparts and also lack an in-house support staff to which
to turn (individual telephone needs are today simplistic enough so as
not to need an in-house support staff).  In the PC market, the cost of
support can quickly outstrip the price of a software package and so the
problem remains.

>    As I said, it became *very* clear from net discussion of the
> profitability of shareware that almost *no* users would actually pay
> for it, debugged or not.  That's why there are *no* major shareware
> packages.  You yourself have apparently just confessed
> that you don't pay for *all* the shareware you keep, because the
> programmer "might" be hoarding a better version.

Net news readers represent a very different market from that of the
entire software consumer spectrum.  Many of the most frequent
contributers represent the poor student population, along with its
frugal culture.  Corporate people have a time constraint.  Registering
and generating funds for every useful little shareware product becomes
an excessive burden, making many simply do without.  The solution is
either for the market to develop so that it makes sense for companies to
hire software licensing agents (as they do librarians who deal with
publishers in obtaining books) or for independent software developers to
pool their resources and publish CD-ROMs worth of software that can be
purchased in one shot.

So there is no need to rave about software pirates or the sluggishness
of corporations, all one must do is open one's eyes to the customers
needs and the answers will appear.

--
Bob Weiner				   rsw@cs.brown.edu

In article <1990Nov16.162407.13925@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
	saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Kevin Saunders) writes:
>   As I said, shareware doesn't work as a concept because
>so many people feel entitled, one way or another, to use it without
>paying for it.
>
>   *Including you,* if I read you post correctly.

Apparently not.  I delete garbage, and it doesn't take me
anywhere near 21 days (or whatever the "magic" figure was) to
decide what's garbage.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.  You're only making
yourself look like a bigger fool than you are.  (On second
thought, strike that last sentence.)

					-=EPS=-