[comp.sys.next] Modem hookup problems

unhd (Brent Benson) (11/09/90)

I've moved my 68030 NeXT cube (along with myself) to a new location
and I'm trying to get it working with a 2400 baud modem (I said
goodbye to my 9600 baud rolm connection).

The relevant part of my /etc/ttys file looks like this:

ttya	"/usr/etc/getty std.2400"	unknown	on	secure
ttyda	"/usr/etc/getty std.2400"	dialup	on

And my /etc/gettytab file:

6|std.2400|2400-baud:\
	:sp#2400:

When I try to use kermit I get "/dev/ttya: Permission denied" (the
permisions are -rw--w--w-).  When I change it so everyone can read the
file (-rw-rw-rw-) it will let me set line to /dev/ttya, but then will
give me a "Sorry, Can't condition communication line" error.

I tried using tip a2400.  Occasionally it will actually connect (to
the modem) and sometimes I can get it to dial and it seems to connect
at the other end.  But it ends up giving me garbage and giving my
"write: Bad file number" every time I try to type a character.  I end
up having to kill the tip processes from another Terminal.  The
"write: Bad file number" seems to be the most consistant thing that I
get.  Sometimes after it hooks up it just scrolls garbage incessantly
until I kill the process.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that you all could give
me.

Thanks,
Brent
--
 _                 _
|__/|_| \__/|_|_| |_|     University of New Hampshire (b_benson@unhh.bitnet)

cbradley@blackbox.lonestar.org (Chris Bradley) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.144735.12379@uunet!unhd> bwb@unh.edu (Brent Benson) writes:

>The relevant part of my /etc/ttys file looks like this:
>
>ttya	"/usr/etc/getty std.2400"	unknown	on	secure
>ttyda	"/usr/etc/getty std.2400"	dialup	on
                                               ^^^^

Oh, boy, I've been around on >this< one before.  From your /etc/ttys
setup, I guess that you might be trying to allow both dial-in and dial-out
on the same modem.

Turning on both ttya and ttyda will cause you problems like the ones
you described.  This is because (and I'm not a guru) they are supposed to
be mutually exclusive:  ttya is for activating port A for a terminal
device, and ttyda is for connecting a modem device.  If you specify
in /etc/ttys that both are active at the same time, then my guess is
that getty gets >real< confused.

IF all you want to do is to dial out using tip, cu (or equiv), then
don't turn on either ttya or ttyda in /etc/ttys.  If all you want to
do is to allow remote logins, then turn on ttya if the remote is a
terminal through a null-modem cable, or turn on ttyda if the remote
user will be dialing in through a modem.

If your plan is to allow dial-in modem connections, but you also want
to be able to pre-empt the port for dial-out on demand, then turn
on ttyda in /etc/ttys, but use /dev/cua for your calling device in
your /etc/remote file.  See the man page for zs(4) for a description
of how ttyda and cua interact.

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (11/17/90)

In article <56699@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.144735.12379@uunet!unhd> bwb@unh.edu (Brent Benson) writes:
>>The relevant part of my /etc/ttys file looks like this:
>>
>>ttya	"/usr/etc/getty std.2400"	unknown	on	secure
>>ttyda	"/usr/etc/getty std.2400"	dialup	on

I'm having modem problems as well, but mine are a bit more basic.

Where does one obtain a NeXT serial cable?  I called the NeXT telebusiness
line and they suggested a company called "Computer Connections" someplace in
Connecticut (Hamden?).  Supposedly they will BUILD a cable to specs for about
$30.  Has anyone out there dealt with this company that would care to comment?

Does NeXT really not offer a serial cable for sale that will work with the
030 NeXT cube?  I know this is a fairly common practice (for a computer
manufacturer to ignore cabling) but I was hoping NeXT would be a little
different in this regard.

Please advise me as to the best way to obtain a serial cable for my NeXT.  I
need a DB-25 male connector for the modem side.

Final question: will any RS-232 cable that works on an 030 NeXT also work
with the RS-423 port that is standard on the 040 NeXT's?

Thanks,

John Garnett
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.180837.10533@news.iastate.edu> geff@iastate.edu
(Underwood Geoffrey Dale) writes:
> >Where does one obtain a NeXT serial cable?
>         The Macintosh to DB-25 cable works fine:  I'm using one now.
Stores
> should recognize this cable as a "Macintosh to modem" cable (as opposed
> "Macintosh to printer," which is a null modem cable).  You should be
able to
> find these anyplace that sells Macs.

Let me add that a Mac cable does not support DCD (carrier detect)
properly.  So you can't use one if you are concerned about dial
in.  But, if you only care about dial out, it should work ok, as was
pointed out.

----------------------------------
Replies can have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (11/18/90)

>Let me add that a Mac cable does not support DCD (carrier detect)
>properly.  So you can't use one if you are concerned about dial
>in.  But, if you only care about dial out, it should work ok, as was
>pointed out.

If that is the case, what happens if you *ARE* concerned about dial-in?
Then where do you get a modem cable?

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan,MDC Designs, University of Merryland
mikec@wam.umd.edu

olson@sax.cs.uiuc.edu (Bob Olson) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov17.225851.6181@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:

   If that is the case, what happens if you *ARE* concerned about dial-in?
   Then where do you get a modem cable?

If you're willing to build one, look in the zs(4) manpage. The pin
connections needed are there.

--bob

Bob Olson			University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Internet: rolson@uiuc.edu	UUCP:  {uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!olson
UIUC NeXT Campus Consultant	NeXT mail: olson@fazer.champaign.il.us
"You can't win a game of chess with an action figure!" AMA #522687 DoD #28

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (11/18/90)

/ comp.sys.next / olson@sax.cs.uiuc.edu (Bob Olson) / Nov 17, 1990 /
>    If that is the case, what happens if you *ARE* concerned about dial-in?
>    Then where do you get a modem cable?
>
> If you're willing to build one, look in the zs(4) manpage. The pin
> connections needed are there.

And if you do, I'd suggest you start with a Mac-to-modem cable and rewire
the DB25 side.  Those mini-DIN plugs are a major pain to solder wires onto...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) (11/20/90)

In article <OLSON.90Nov17201948@sax.cs.uiuc.edu> olson@sax.cs.uiuc.edu (Bob Olson) writes:
>In article <1990Nov17.225851.6181@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>
>   If that is the case, what happens if you *ARE* concerned about dial-in?
>   Then where do you get a modem cable?
>
>If you're willing to build one, look in the zs(4) manpage. The pin
>connections needed are there.

I bought a standard Mac modem cable made by a company called Data Spec.  It
works fine with both dial-out and dial-in.  The serial number is (I think)
EMI/RFI L-6758.  Only some of the Mac cables out there have problems.

Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) (11/20/90)

In article <OLSON.90Nov17201948@sax.cs.uiuc.edu> olson@sax.cs.uiuc.edu (Bob Olson) writes:
>In article <1990Nov17.225851.6181@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>
>   If that is the case, what happens if you *ARE* concerned about dial-in?
>   Then where do you get a modem cable?
>
>If you're willing to build one, look in the zs(4) manpage. The pin
>connections needed are there.

I found the bag that my cable came in.  The number is APM-HSM-6, made by
Data Spec.  As I said, it works great for dial-in and out.