[comp.sys.next] Why not '030 slabs?

lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) (11/20/90)

If the 'slab' gets delayed by Motorola 68040 chip supplies, is it feasible for
NeXT to ship the monochrome NeXTstations with 68030's installed, along with a
voucher for a CPU chip upgrade to '040 when available?  The clock speed on the
current cube and new slabs is the same, as are the SIMMs.  Are the '040 and
'030 pin compatible?  What else prevents you from replacing one with another?

Perhaps some of the hardware knowledgeable among the comp.sys.next community
could explain if this is possible.  It seems to me that a lot of people (like
me) would appreciate having a 5 MIP '030 NeXTstation running 2.0 in hand with
an upgrade process in the spring rather than waiting out a long delay.

Any ideas?

- Christopher

PS: Of course, if everybody's NeXTstations get delivered by the end of this
month as originally planned, never mind!  :-)

-------

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (11/20/90)

In article <MailManager.659054095.7886.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu> lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>If the 'slab' gets delayed by Motorola 68040 chip supplies, is it feasible for
>NeXT to ship the monochrome NeXTstations with 68030's installed, along with a
>voucher for a CPU chip upgrade to '040 when available?  The clock speed on the
>current cube and new slabs is the same, as are the SIMMs.  Are the '040 and
>'030 pin compatible?  What else prevents you from replacing one with another?

I very much doubt it.  For one thing _I_ certainly don't want to be messing
around with a couple hundred dollars worth of chips . . . Also, the 040 has
a built-in MMU and FPU, which th 030 doesn't, do presumably pinouts change,
also.  Lastly, the chips are mounted directly on the motherboard - not
socketed - so only a small percentage of people would even have the
know-how to do the operation, much less the guts to charge on ahead.

Then again, it's looking more optimistic WRT getting those machines shipped
yet this month.  I suspect at least some will be . . .

--
scott hess
scott@gac.edu

In article <MailManager.659054095.7886.lane@ssrg-next-1.stanford.edu>
	lane@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU (Christopher Lane) writes:
>If the 'slab' gets delayed by Motorola 68040 chip supplies, is it feasible for
>NeXT to ship the monochrome NeXTstations with 68030's installed, along with a
>voucher for a CPU chip upgrade to '040 when available?  The clock speed on the
>current cube and new slabs is the same, as are the SIMMs.  Are the '040 and
>'030 pin compatible?  What else prevents you from replacing one with another?

Life's kinda rough without floating point... (think about it)

					-=EPS=-