[comp.sys.next] Answer to tip/zmodem question

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (11/19/90)

This note shows how to use zmodem from inside the tip program on
a NeXT to retrieve a file from another UNIX(tm) machine.

1) First of all make sure you have a version of rz (the receiving
zmodem program) that allows the -1 option.  The version I used
has the following version number:

>  rz 1.26 08-21-87 for V7/BSD by Chuck Forsberg
>  Usage:  rz [-1abeuv]            (ZMODEM Batch)

2) Next create (or edit) the .tiprc file in your $HOME directory.  This
   file should contain (at a minimum) the following line:

   SHELL=/bin/sh

   This line is necessary because the ~$ option of tip doesn't work with
   C-Shell but does work when using Bourne Shell (at least under NeXT 1.0).

3) Login to a remote UNIX(tm) system using tip.  Type the following commands:

  sz remotefilename
  ~$
  rz -1

The sz remotefilename command is executed on the remote machine.  The
~$ causes tip to escape back to the local machine and prompt for a local
command to run.  At this point sz will produce some output - just ignore it
and type "rz -1".

During my downloads using zmodem I found that it achieved about 225 to 230
characters per second using a 2400 baud modem.  This is a whole lot better
than the 78 or so that kermit typically achieves.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (11/20/90)

    During my downloads using zmodem I found that it achieved about 225 to
    230 characters per second using a 2400 baud modem.  This is a whole
    lot better than the 78 or so that kermit typically achieves.

what version of kermit are you using?  more recent versions (with large
packets and windowing) do *much* better -- i get 922 cps over a 9600
baud modem.
--

                                             .mike.

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (11/20/90)

In article <MDIXON.90Nov19101528@thelonius.parc.xerox.com> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:

>    During my downloads using zmodem I found that it achieved about 225 to
>    230 characters per second using a 2400 baud modem.  This is a whole
>    lot better than the 78 or so that kermit typically achieves.
>
>what version of kermit are you using?  more recent versions (with large
>packets and windowing) do *much* better -- i get 922 cps over a 9600
>baud modem.

I was using version "C-Kermit, 4E(070) 29 Jan 88, 4.2 BSD".  Looks like
its safe to say this is an old version.  I apologize for insinuating
that all versions of kermit are slow.  It appears that the newer versions
of kermit are as fast as or faster than zmodem.   Apparently, the latest
version 5a of kermit uses sliding windows and does compile on the NeXT.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin
garnett@cs.utexas.edu         Department of Computer Science
                              Austin, Texas

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (11/20/90)

A recent article reposted in comp.archives pointed out the existence
of sources for a version of tip that supports (x, y and) z-modem file
transfer directly. This is TIPX.TAR-Z on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil in the
directory PD2:<UNIX-C.TELECOM>. It's a set of mods to the tip2 sources
on uunet.uu.net in the communications directory. I just tried to make
this, but it fails because tip2 includes slip support and the relevant
things aren't defined. As far as I can see, the slip stuff is
independent of the basic tip + file transfer functionality: can anyone
produce a version of these sources that will compile on slip-less
machines like the NeXT? Not being any kind of C programmer, I'm afraid
I can't.

Steve Anderson

erikkay@athena.mit.edu (Erik Kay) (11/20/90)

so where can I get 5a?? I still have 4E as well.

Erik Kay

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/21/90)

In article <MDIXON.90Nov19101528@thelonius.parc.xerox.com>, mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes...

>what version of kermit are you using?  more recent versions (with large
>packets and windowing) do *much* better -- i get 922 cps over a 9600
>baud modem.

What version of Kermit are you using? Does windowing mean a GUI interface?

/ivo

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (11/21/90)

    What version of Kermit are you using? Does windowing mean a GUI
    interface?

i'm using 5A; i don't know whether it's the most recent version any
more (i picked it up from the archives about 6 months ago).  "windowing"
doesn't refer to the interface; it refers to a technique for getting
higher performance file transfers (by not requiring that each packet
be acknowledged before the next one is sent).  the version i've got
has a unix-standard tty interface.
--

                                             .mike.