[comp.sys.next] Moto's 88100 MultiPersonal Computer

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/19/90)

Talk about 88x00... :-)

Hey guys, look at Motorola's new RISC MultiPersonal Computer! They are based
on M88x00! According to the ad, it says M88000, but a M88100 is shown. It
performs over 60 MIPS.  MultiPersonal Computer runs Unix SysV, and X-Window
R4. But look how they make X-Window GUI look somewhat similar to NeXTStep! A
column of Appl icons on the right of screen. comes with softwares, ready to go
right out of box.  Software included like Uniplex, Oracle or Informit
relational data base. FrameMaker. The ad has SoftPC running in a window which
is, IMO, running Lotus 1-2-3. Another window that is mostly covered by another
window, seems to be Mac emulation, who knows, I am just guessing 'cause it
looks somewhat like Apple's GUI.

Perhaps Moto wants NeXTstep running on their MultiPersonal computer too! :-)

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

tim@mnetor.UUCP (Tim Desjardins) (11/20/90)

In article <11343@milton.u.washington.edu> cyliao@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>Talk about 88x00... :-)
>
>Hey guys, look at Motorola's new RISC MultiPersonal Computer! They are based
>performs over 60 MIPS.  MultiPersonal Computer runs Unix SysV, and X-Window
                                                             R4
>R4. But look how they make X-Window GUI look somewhat similar to NeXTStep! A
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                             Thats Motif, and look and function
                                             are two different things.
>Perhaps Moto wants NeXTstep running on their MultiPersonal computer too! :-)

                          It would be nice, but don't count on it.
--
Tim Desjardins
TDesjardins@mot.com, tim@mnetor.uu.net, {uunet|utzoo}!mnetor!tim

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (11/20/90)

In article <5605@mnetor.UUCP> tim@mnetor.UUCP (Tim Desjardins) writes:
>>Perhaps Moto wants NeXTstep running on their MultiPersonal computer too! :-)
>                          It would be nice, but don't count on it.

One would like to think otherwise. Since Sun dumped Moto and went with
Intel, and since NeXT has been so supportive of Moto, one would think
that it would be in Moto's self-interest to support a loyal purchaser
by in turn buying a heck of a lot of NeXTs and by licensing NeXTstep
to wrap around their Unix... and wouldn't it be just so cool if
NeXTstep ran on the Moto SBC (single board computers) in their
VME bus?

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (11/22/90)

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:

>One would like to think otherwise. Since Sun dumped Moto and went with
>Intel, and since NeXT has been so supportive of Moto, ...

	Correction required: Sun is in the process of dumping Moto *and*
	Intel in sole favor of the Sparc family. NCR is also in the process
	of dropping Moto in favor of Intel's 386/486 family.