[net.auto] Driver's Licence's State to State

jayj@hpisla.UUCP (Jay Johannes) (10/08/85)

  I think the answer really varies from state to state, but it is
  possible in some cases.

  Several years ago, I was in the Air Force and stationed in Kansas. My
  state of residency was Wisconsin at the time. I bought a motorcycle,
  and wanted to get a motorcycle endorsement. Wisconsin required a driving
  test, would not accept the Kansas test, or anything short of having me
  schedule a test with a Wisconsin examiner and take leave to go to
  Wisconsin for the test.

  What to do?  I went down to the Kansas DMV and explained the situation.
  They issued me a Kansas drivers liscense, using my Wisconsin liscense as
  proof of competence (written test only).

  When it came time to renew the Wisconsin liscense, they asked whether I
  had a valid liscense in any other state. I replied that I had a Kansas
  liscense. They then required me to turn in my Kansas liscense before
  getting a new Wisconsin one.

  I went back to Kansas, and they issued me a duplicate, even though Wisconsin
  had sent a request for cancellation.

  So..  find out about requirements in other states, especially Western states
  where requirements are a bit looser.

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (10/16/85)

Boy am I glad there is a whole country between me and Baker.
This twit brags about being a poor driver.  If he were in
New Jersey, he would probably raise everyone's insurance
rates by 10% just because he is such a twank.
T. C. Wheeler

bbaker@cadsys.UUCP (William Baker) (10/20/85)

> Boy am I glad there is a whole country between me and Baker.
> This twit brags about being a poor driver.  If he were in
> New Jersey, he would probably raise everyone's insurance
> rates by 10% just because he is such a twank.
> T. C. Wheeler

	Friend, you have a lot to learn, mostly about the basics of
communication.  If you read the article I posted with a little more
care, you'd realize that I did not:

	A. Label myself a poor driver.
or
	B. Brag about anything.

I merely described the mechanics of reciprocity as the exist for
DMV's in these United States.  I unfortunately have a lot of
experience with this.  For your information, and for the
enlightenment of the readers of net.auto in whose presence I have
been slandered, my insurance was cancelled because of an excessive
number of small violations, e.g., failure to stop, improper turn,
etc.  These were harrasment tickets issued by the local police who
didn't like the loud but rather slow sports car I drove.
	Regarding your insurance, if you haven't figured out how it
works by now then you are just plain stupid as well as insulting.
Insurance companies charge high rates to people in high risk
catagories, such as teenagers and people with a lot of tickets.
They also offer low rates to people with clean records.  If your
insurance company doesn't offer a good driver discount, then change
insurers and find one that does.  Also, look both ways before you
cross a street and don't play with pointed sticks.  Those things
are dangerous...
	As to your personal comments, I've got a feeling you
haven't been on the net for very long.  Such things are frowned
upon.  Besides, if you have been reading the news for a while then
you'd know that I'm the guy that's been trying to get net.rec.rugby
going for a long time.  I wouldn't feel too safe if I were you.
I've been planning to head for the East Coast next spring.  As
Hunter Thompson said to John Chancellor, "You can run, but you
can't hide."  Be seeing you, Wheeler.

				Rugby players eat their dead,

					Bill "Bobo" Baker

P.S.  If it makes you feel any better, I got a letter from the
Oregon DMV last week telling me that my right to hold an Oregon
driver's license had been suspended.

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (10/21/85)

In article <257@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
>Boy am I glad there is a whole country between me and Baker.
>This twit brags about being a poor driver.  If he were in
>New Jersey, he would probably raise everyone's insurance
>rates by 10% just because he is such a twank.
>T. C. Wheeler

Oh, mellow out, Wheeler.  Maybe *you* think driving at 56 mph or greater is
dangerous, but a lot of us out here in netland don't think so.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company