[net.followup] Really CBW

jj@alice.UUCP (08/14/85)

While the idea of CBW is so transparently ghastly that I
can readily imagine a fanatic somewhere crossing E-Coli
with AIDS, and doing in warmblooded creatures of all types,
I am a bit annoyed with the two examples given in the
original article on CBW, specifically Tay-Sachs and sickle-cell
anemia. The implication was that there was research into tailored viruses
that would cause sickle-cell in all blacks, or Tay-Sachs in
all people of eastern European ancestry.  Without knowing any
about what is being researched, that statement is a bit off
the mark.

It is a bit off
the mark since both diseases involve genetic changes of a type
that would no longer BE SPECIFIC TO THE RACE that now suffers from
the disease,  should the disease be caused by
some sort of supression/enhancement
virus. Both diseases are transmitted via genetic
processes, and are racially specific today only
because of the origin of the mutations that
brought about the disease in the first place.
(Furthermore, it's clear that sickle-cell is partially
an adaptation, albiet one with a penalty, to increase
resistance to malaria parasites.)

Tay-Sachs is (the last I heard) a disease in which
certain nerve cells (or it might be gray cells) cannot properly
metabolize fat because of a missing enzyme.  Any virus that
can change the metabolism of the cells to prevent the manufacture
of that enzyme will work on (unless some careful and unlikely
finagling is done that is unrelated in all respects to the disease)
ANYTHING that has the particular enzyme. There are obvious restrictions
here that relate to cell-wall penetration, etc, of course, but
in general, one could come up <hypothetically> with a bug
that caused Tay-Sachs.  It would cause it in all infected
humans, though, not just the race that happens to now suffer
from the problem.

Sickle-cell is (again, the last I heard) a disease that results
from a different form of hemoglobin.  Again, causing the
marrow/etc to generate that form of hemoglobin in any
individual who does not already have that problem is not
racially specific without further tailoring that is unrelated to
the disease.

Needless to say, I find the deliberate incitement used by
the mention of those two diseases to be utterly insulting.
The desired effect of the article seemed to be a shortsighted
attempt to cause fighting and racial tension, rather than
a sincere effort to prevent the creation of viral weapons,
racially specific or NOT.

It IS true, undoubtedly, that some twit could concoct racially
selective diseases.  Diseases currently known do not,
in general, qualify for such use.  (i.e. a healthy black
or eastern European is no more succeptable than any other
human.  A half-carrier (one is non-dominant, one recessive)
is no more succeptable either.)

CAVEAT:

I am NOT an expert in the above fields.  I comment strictly on
what I have read in such publications as Scientific American
and the like.  Expert opinion is welcomed.

If there is someone QUALIFIED to talk about such doomsday
research on the net, please speak up.

--
SUPPORT SECULAR TEDDY-BEAR-ISM.
"I see a dark cloud, On the horizon,..."

(ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (08/22/85)

In article <4144@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP writes:
>While the idea of CBW is so transparently ghastly that I
>can readily imagine a fanatic somewhere crossing E-Coli
>with AIDS, and doing in warmblooded creatures of all types,

Difficult.  Our good friend E. coli is a bacterium, whereas HTLV III
(the thing currently suspected of bringing about AIDS) is a virus.

These are very different sorts of creatures;  'crossing' (in the genetic
sense) isn't possible.

However, it might well be possible (and, heaven help us, feasible) to
discover *why* HTLV III infection can lead to AIDS, and, with that
knowledge, modify a common gut or skin bacterium to have a similar effect.

Anyone out there who is involved in this sort of thing?  If so, you
should damn well be ashamed of yourselves.

							Kay.
--
"A boy does not put his hand into his pocket until every other means of
gaining his end has failed."		_Tommy_, by J. M. Barrie.

			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!flame!kay

jeg@ptsfa.UUCP (John Girard) (08/30/85)