[comp.sys.next] Mathematica for NeXT, Unbundled Price

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (11/22/90)

Taken from the Mathematica mailing list:

>From: "George A. Lippert" <glippert@dale.cts.com>

>Now that NeXT, Inc.  has decided to unbundle Mathematica (except for academic
>purchasers) the Sales Department at Wolfram tells me that they are considering
>charging $1295 for Mathematica for the NeXT machine.  I think this price is too
>high.  It is out of line with the cost of the machine, $4995.

Yeah, that sounds pretty steep to me too! Someone should tell WRI
to analyze the following equation in Mathematica:

Many_NeXTSs + Free_Educational_Copy + Expensive_General_Price =

Lots_of_Pirated_Software

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math