[comp.sys.next] Scandinavic characters on NeXT

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (11/13/90)

I would like to know if scandinavic characters (dotted a and o
especially) are supported in the OS release 2.0. If not, is there any
way to write documents with, say Writenow and FrameMaker, and use
scandinavic alpahabets?

German characters would also serve the purpose.

(If there ISN'T currently any way, would it be difficult to make it?)

This is very important since I am going to get a slab for DTP, among
other things, and I live in scandinavia...

	Thanks, Jouni

jschultz@pyrtech.pyramid.com (J.W. Schultz) (11/21/90)

In article <3998.273f4532@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>I would like to know if scandinavic characters (dotted a and o
>especially) are supported in the OS release 2.0. If not, is there any
>way to write documents with, say Writenow and FrameMaker, and use
>scandinavic alpahabets?
>
>German characters would also serve the purpose.
>
>(If there ISN'T currently any way, would it be difficult to make it?)
>
>This is very important since I am going to get a slab for DTP, among
>other things, and I live in scandinavia...
>

>	Thanks, Jouni

You should be able to map the characters that you need into the printing character set.
As the NeXT is supporting a PostScript display model.  I don't have a next machine myself
but i have done this with PostScript printers.  I'm sorry that i don't have a code
fragment on hand but perhaps another either in this conference or the postscript conference
will.  As for mapping the those characters to keys, That i could not tell you.
(I only replied as I saw there was no other followups).

jw
jschultz@pyramid.pyramid.com

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (11/21/90)

When I played with 2.0 beta on a demo machine here on campus a couple
of months ago, WriteNow correctly handled the german umlauts and french
accents. The demo version of Framemaker on 1.0 also handles most of the
accent marks. We'll see if it's fixed in 2.0 for sure in a short while.

I have no idea wether the Unix will actually handle anything except the
standard ascii set for filenames etc. in 2.0.

Under 1.0, I hacked the Wn2troff program to do the correct thing with
french accent, so you can atleast generate a document with french accents
to come out on the printer. It's kind of convoluted, but should tie us over
until 2.0 comes out.

-ingo

--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

tvendeli@vtt.fi (Timo Vendelin) (11/22/90)

This is just a screem to the net...

I would have used for Swedish/Finnish keyboard. Now I have to do my documents by PC or Mac.
I love to make Finnish documents in my NeXTCube. If NeXT have English, German and Fench
keyboard, it should not be big thing to make also keyboards to other
languages ?

           Timo Vendelin                 tvendeli@gra.vtt.fi
                      I wonder what's NeXT...