[comp.sys.next] iwscript

burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) (11/09/90)

To the "gentleman" who flamed Robert Lin's iwscript -

Your a jerk.

A complete, utter, and total jerk.

I've met Robert Lin in passing, and I think he's a very nice
guy.  If I needed iwscript, I would sooner pay $25 for Robert's
code than use code written by an arrogant pig (that's YOU).

Regardless of the quality of anyone's software, no one deserves
to be ridiculed over the net for writing shareware, especially a
very useful piece of shareware that was the first of it's kind.

And by the way, haven't you heard of capitalism?  It's the reason
why you're able to pound out senseless drivel on a very expensive
piece of technology and it is the reason why Robert Lin is able to
charge whatever the traffic will bear for is software.  (Which, after
all, is not that expensive.)

I leave you my contempt.

T. K. Burkholder.

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (11/09/90)

In article <10397@ubc-cs.UUCP) burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:
)Regardless of the quality of anyone's software, no one deserves
)to be ridiculed over the net for writing shareware

I agree.

Perhaps we all could gain a lot by reading again the
*.announce.newusers postings about netiquette.

burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) (11/11/90)

I'd like to apologize to netland in general for the rude nature of
my last posting.

I got a little hot under the collar.

I still stand behind the intent of my message, if not the exact
text.

No one deserves to be flamed for writing software (of whatever
quality or price).

In the future, I'll try to keep my postings focussed on NeXT
related issues.

My thanks to all of you out who responded so politely to what was
not a polite posting.

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (11/12/90)

In article <9933@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
>In article <10397@ubc-cs.UUCP) burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:
>)Regardless of the quality of anyone's software, no one deserves
>)to be ridiculed over the net for writing shareware
>
>I agree.

I also agree.

-Vareck Bostrom

bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu

dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dennis Glatting) (11/12/90)

In article <9933@helios.TAMU.EDU>, cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
|> In article <10397@ubc-cs.UUCP) burkhold@cs.ubc.ca (Mike Gobbi) writes:
|> )Regardless of the quality of anyone's software, no one deserves
|> )to be ridiculed over the net for writing shareware
|>
|> I agree.
|>
|> Perhaps we all could gain a lot by reading again the
|> *.announce.newusers postings about netiquette.

it was uncalled for.  thou isn't the high and mighty thee might think.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg      | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM   | X2NeXT developer

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (11/13/90)

In article <1884@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM> dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM writes:
>it was uncalled for.

Wrong. It was definitely called for.

>  thou isn't the high and mighty thee might think.

Wrong. Yes I am.

rlin@cs.ubc.ca (Robert Lin) (11/24/90)

I am the author of iwscript. I was down in COMDEX last week and didn't
keep up with the Net postings, so I was rather surprised when I returned
to hear from my friends that I've been flamed.

Yesterday I received a cheque in the mail from a user who has installed
iwscript. His letter reads like this:

"Thanks for iwscript. I find the program very useful. The best $25 I've
ever spent! .... I hope you will ignore what EPS has been saying on
the Internet. I assure you, it does not reflect my own opinion"

The nice thing about shareware is that if you don't like the product,
you don't have to pay for it. Nobody puts a gun to your head. For the
record, iwscript does do everything I say it will do in the documentation.
Yes, it WILL allow you to type "lpr <some file>"; I use it all the time.

I don't want to perpetuate something as stupid as a flame war on the net,
so Eric and anyone else who wishes to have their say should email me.
For the record, I've given telephone support to people who HAVE NOT paid
and probably never will, so please don't pin this label of money grubbing
fiend on me.

-Robert Lin
 <rlin@cs.ubc.ca>

In article <1990Nov24.001013.23873@cs.ubc.ca> rlin@cs.ubc.ca
	(Robert Lin) writes:
>I don't want to perpetuate something as stupid as a flame war on the net,
>so Eric and anyone else who wishes to have their say should email me.

Done.
					-=EPS=-