[comp.sys.next] Next doesn't recognize uncompressed?

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (11/27/90)

   Is there any reason that, after i "uncompress" a file (take kermit.Z)
the next recognizes it purely as a text document and not an application.
Am i (again) doing something wrong?  Patientence and answer much
appreciated.. Thanks. Loki

dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) (11/27/90)

In article <560@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) writes:

>   Is there any reason that, after i "uncompress" a file (take kermit.Z)
>the next recognizes it purely as a text document and not an application.
>Am i (again) doing something wrong?  Patientence and answer much
>appreciated.. Thanks. Loki

Have you tried setting the executeable flags?  Try chmod +x file from a shell...
I don't know if any thing else has to be updated, but this is required after
uncompressing a binary on all UNIX machines.

David Koski