[comp.sys.next] Speech Encoding Implementations

beyer@.erg.sri.com (beyer) (11/27/90)

> Subject: Compression algorithms for the 56001 DSP?
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there had some source code for the
> 56001 that would do real-time compression and decompression of
> information (i.e.sound, or other data...)

I too am interested in compression algorithms for the 56001.

Specifically, I'm interested in low- to medium-rate speech encoding
algorithms (1 kbps to 16 kbps) that have been implemented for real-time
operation on the NeXT, or for that matter, on other off-the-shelf
hardware/DSP boards.  I'd greatly appreciate receiving any information on
such implementations that could be obtained with little cost.  (I realize
that understandable-quality, real-time, 1 kbps encoding, on off-the-shelf
hardware is probably asking too much.)

For context: In a current research project, we are building a speech
interface to variable data rate packet-switched networks (e.g., packet
radio networks) that can adapt its encoding rate, possibly by
switching between different encoding algorithms, according to the
current throughput provided by the underlying network.  Of course, any
"software contributions" would be acknowledged.

Thanks in advance for any information,

Dave Beyer
SRI International
Menlo Park, CA  94025