[comp.sys.next] SoftPc for the Next?

optadm7@watserv1.waterloo.edu (J.Cassidy - Optometry) (11/14/90)

 I have heard some talk about SoftPc for the NeXT.  Does
anyone have any further information on this product?  Has
anyone used it, or seen it running?

Jim Cassidy                           optadm7@watserv1.waterloo.{edu,cdn}
University of Waterloo                optadm7@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca
200 University Ave.                   VE3RTS
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1     (519) 885-1211 ext. 6240

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov14.000000.11547@watserv1.waterloo.edu> optadm7@watserv1.waterloo.edu (J.Cassidy - Optometry) writes:

> I have heard some talk about SoftPc for the NeXT.  Does
>anyone have any further information on this product?  Has
>anyone used it, or seen it running?

I saw SoftPC running on a 040 NeXTStation during a NeXT seminar a few weeks ago.
It appeared to be a COMPLETE & FINISHED product.  The performance was good
(about 10Mhz AT) but the screen updates were 'funny' (part of the screen would
paint -- hesitate -- finish screen).  I don't know if this is the way SoftPC
normally works on a NeXT but I wouldn't like to use it on a regular basis.

Tyler

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (11/14/90)

optadm7@watserv1.waterloo.edu (J.Cassidy - Optometry) writes:

> I have heard some talk about SoftPc for the NeXT.  Does
>anyone have any further information on this product?  Has
>anyone used it, or seen it running?

>Jim Cassidy                           optadm7@watserv1.waterloo.{edu,cdn}
>University of Waterloo                optadm7@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca
>200 University Ave.                   VE3RTS
>Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1     (519) 885-1211 ext. 6240

I called Insignia solutions (makers of SoftPC) last week and asked them for
literature.  It came yesterday, but it wasn't much; a one page glossy with
lots of pretty pictures describing SoftPC for Sparcstations and a brief 1-1/2
page letter saying that SoftPC is great and is now available for the Next at
$595.  When I called asking for the literature, I asked the sales rep what
PC programs it runs and what it has trouble on.  He claimed it runs the basics
(Lotus 1-2-3, Dbase, etc.) as well as usually hard-to-run programs (Microsoft
Flight Simulator).  The only problem arises when you want to do things like
acess communications cards, etc.

Call them for more info.  As usual, I don't know much, but am willing to share
(and argue about =;-) the little I know.

Rick Fanta	(richf@adiron.uucp)
		"Those who speak, do not know.
		 Those who know, do not speak."
		-Ancient Taoist proverb

quark@asylum.SF.CA.US (Dave Hull) (11/20/90)

 Hi, I 'm slated to be the NeXT support person for SoftPC.  It's due
out in Feb.

  SoftPC should run any AT program on the NeXT.

 Our Tech. Specks are:
  80286 CPU (real mode only)
  80287 FPU (real mode only)
  640 K system RAM
  EMS 4.0 expanded memory
  CGA or EGA Video
  Microsoft Mouse
  101-key keyboard
  COM1, COM2, LPT1, and LPT2
  2 MS-DOS hard drives (C & D)
  Multiple FSA disk volumes
  Generic ASCII terminal driver

 I should be getting my NeXT today or tomarrow.  I'll probably be able
to give more specific answers sometime after that.

 If you have any questions you can send them to quark@asylum.ba.ca.us.
 Or contact me directly at work:
  Phone (408) 522-7604
  Fax    (408) 733-9541
  AppleLink  D1437

   --Dave Hull--

changm@ux.acs.umn.edu (Darda M. T. Chang) (11/22/90)

In article <13081@asylum.SF.CA.US> quark@asylum.UUCP (Dave Hull) writes:

> Hi, I 'm slated to be the NeXT support person for SoftPC.  It's due
>out in Feb.
>
>  SoftPC should run any AT program on the NeXT.
Is it possible to run Mac software on NeXT, say SoftMac??

Darda

In article <2754@ux.acs.umn.edu> changm@ux.acs.umn.edu
	(Darda M. T. Chang) writes:
>Is it possible to run Mac software on NeXT, say SoftMac??

Is it possible to run CP/M or Apple II software on the NeXT?  :-)

C'mon, guys.  Get with the program,
or I just might write Digital Abacus.

					-=EPS=-

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (11/24/90)

)
)Is it possible to run CP/M or Apple II software on the NeXT?  :-)
)
 I have some old software which originally ran on one of the
original computers, the ENIAC. Is there an ENIAC emulator for
the NeXT? say SoftENIAC?

sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) (11/24/90)

In article <10351@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
> I have some old software which originally ran on one of the
>original computers, the ENIAC. Is there an ENIAC emulator for
>the NeXT? say SoftENIAC?

Actually in one of my undergrad courses we wrote an ENIAC emulator
in C... my version will run on a PC.  Suppose if I still had my TRS80
I could run it there, too.
---
Stuart Ritchie                            I'm a NeXT'n'happy kind of guy.

madler@piglet.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (11/26/90)

>>  I have some old software which originally ran on one of the
>> original computers, the ENIAC. Is there an ENIAC emulator for
>> the NeXT? say SoftENIAC?

Well, there is an ENIAC emulator for the IBM 750, and an IBM 750 emulator
for an IBM 370, and an IBM 370 emulator for a PC, and SoftPC for the NeXT,
so you should have no problem.  Probably runs faster than an ENIAC
anyway.  ;-)

Mark Adler
madler@piglet.caltech.edu

farber@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (David Farber) (11/26/90)

The classic article on this theme was published n Datamation about 20 years
ago and was titled something like the Chaostron

I will try to find the full ciation if desired

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov24.013021.25438@cs.ubc.ca> sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) writes:
   In article <10351@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
   > I have some old software which originally ran on one of the
   >original computers, the ENIAC. Is there an ENIAC emulator for
   >the NeXT? say SoftENIAC?

   Actually in one of my undergrad courses we wrote an ENIAC emulator
   in C... my version will run on a PC.  Suppose if I still had my TRS80
   I could run it there, too.

Great!  We can run that under SoftPC, and . . .

The _real_ question is "does anyone have a TI 99/4A emulator on the
NeXT?  I've heard they are often availiable at garage sales (w/keyboard
and cartridge slot!) for ~$10, but have never found one, myself . . . )

   Stuart Ritchie                            I'm a NeXT'n'happy kind of guy.

Nice name :-)
--
scott hess
scott@gac.edu

laughlin@fornax.UUCP (Bob Laughlin) (11/26/90)

    While were on the subject does anybody have a set of ROMS for
a '62 Turing machine?

--
 Bob Laughlin  laughlin@cs.sfu.ca

dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski) (11/27/90)

In article <10351@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
> I have some old software which originally ran on one of the
>original computers, the ENIAC. Is there an ENIAC emulator for
>the NeXT? say SoftENIAC?

Yeah, but I can't get the darn punch card reader to hook up to the SCSI port.
Maybe the NeXT isn't fast enough to handle the raw speed provided by punch
cards...  Oh, the new UNIVAC emnulator is out on junk.emulators.next.com,
it even simulates blowing out vacuum tubes (pretty cool eh?).

David Koski

dave@convex.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (11/28/90)

From article <519@organpipe.UUCP , by dkoski@hercules.as.arizona.edu (David Koski):
  In article <10351@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
 > I have some old software which originally ran on one of the
 >original computers, the ENIAC. Is there an ENIAC emulator for
 >the NeXT? say SoftENIAC?

  Yeah, but I can't get the darn punch card reader to hook up to the SCSI port.
  Maybe the NeXT isn't fast enough to handle the raw speed provided by punch
  cards...  Oh, the new UNIVAC emnulator is out on junk.emulators.next.com,
  it even simulates blowing out vacuum tubes (pretty cool eh?).

You mean there is life for my Univac 1100 programs once they do in fact get
rid of ours on April 1 (no foolin' :-)

Gee, with a little screen hacking, I bet I could make a NeXT look like a
Univac SMU. :-)

--
Dave Rasmussen - Systems Programmer/Manager, UW-Milwaukee Computing Svcs Div.
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT