[comp.sys.next] UUCP and non-UUCP file transfer for Unix dummies

tenny@z.dec.com (Dave Tenny) (11/28/90)

Okay, so I've got my NeXT and a modem cable on the way.
I'm passingly familiar with unix, but only from a general purpose language
development standpoint.

Now I need to learn how to hook my NeXT up to the rest of the world,
in 2-3 scenarios.  I have Mark Adler's very nice note on hooking up
the modem from article 9636.  He discusses using kermit for dialout.

Can someone please help with the remaining questions?

A) If I can dial up to another unix machine, do I have options other
   then kermit for file transfer? (Note I'll have to dial manually,
   getting to a unix prompt on the remote machine)

B) What if I don't have kermit (I haven't looked, but I don't think there's
   one shipped with next).  What tools shipped with the Next will enable
   me to dial out and download the ascii sources to kermit so I can compile
   it an run the thing.

Thanks,

Dave Tenny

doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) (11/28/90)

In article <3511@ryn.esg.dec.com> tenny@z.dec.com (Dave Tenny) writes:

>Can someone please help with the remaining questions?
>
>A) If I can dial up to another unix machine, do I have options other
>   then kermit for file transfer? (Note I'll have to dial manually,
>   getting to a unix prompt on the remote machine)

	When you say dial manually, do you mean no automated dialing on
	your modem?  If your modem auto-dials, you can use uucp to transfer
	ascii or binary files, depending on the number of connections
	between you and the stuff.

>B) What if I don't have kermit (I haven't looked, but I don't think there's
>   one shipped with next).  What tools shipped with the Next will enable
>   me to dial out and download the ascii sources to kermit so I can compile
>   it an run the thing.

	'tip' is shipped with the NeXT, and has file-transfer capability
	(see the man page).  Best would be to have someone uuencode the
	binary and mail it to you, or even better, send them an OD to put
	it on.

Doug
Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu