[comp.sys.next] X-window on next

mai@ms.uky.edu (Mai Zhou) (11/29/90)

I may be able to get a next soon. My question is: Does next run X11R4?
can it be networked say to a unix server running X-window? I really
need X11R4, it would be ideal if NeXT can.     (and also run some of
the next software from time to time independent of the network?)

beech@ms.uky.edu (Wayne Beech) (11/29/90)

In article <16445@s.ms.uky.edu> mai@ms.uky.edu (Mai Zhou) writes:
>I may be able to get a next soon. My question is: Does next run X11R4?
>can it be networked say to a unix server running X-window? I really
>need X11R4, it would be ideal if NeXT can.     (and also run some of
>the next software from time to time independent of the network?)

there is currently a X11R3 that runs inside a NeXTStep window.  this version
works fine but i believe that it was ported by a student and not officially
supported by anyone.  in the november 26, 1990 issue of UNIX Today! there is
an article that states that Pencom Software has plans to port and sell
versions of X11R4 and OSF Motif for the NeXT.  Pricing on the products is
not currently available but Pencom can be reached at 512-343-1111.

Wayne Beech

UUCP  : ukma!beech
BITNET: beech@ukma
DOMAIN: beech@ms.uky.edu

dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (root@next1) (11/29/90)

In article <16445@s.ms.uky.edu>, mai@ms.uky.edu (Mai Zhou) writes:
> I may be able to get a next soon. My question is: Does next run X11R4?
> can it be networked say to a unix server running X-window? I really
> need X11R4, it would be ideal if NeXT can.     (and also run some of
> the next software from time to time independent of the network?)
Yes, X11R3 & X11R4 can be run on a NeXT.  NeXT Computer does not support either
of them to the best of my knowlege.  I have a Beta copy of McGill U's X11R4
server for the NeXT.  It runs great!  I have run X on the NeXT, used DecWindows
window manager off of a VaxStation 3100, and run Apps off of an Rs-6000 all
displaying on the NeXT at once.  It still isn't as nice as pure NeXTStep, but
It is amusing.  I will be glad to demo to anyone that is in the Cincinnati, OH
area.

--
Dave Strout
NeXT Campus Consultant -- Miami University.