[comp.sys.next] Disktab entry for WREN 4

danp@gaboon.UUCP (Dan Peknik) (11/27/90)

 Does anyone happen to know of the Disktab entry for a CDC
 WREN 4 SCSI hard disk on the NeXt? I had the thing formatted a
 while ago, but need to pass on the information. Any help appreciated!

 Also, if anyone is using the Telebit t-2500 on the cube, and has
 dial-in capability enabled, the new 7.00 roms feature call-back
 and password protection (in addition to v.42 and v.42bis.) I've
 had them installed for a week now, and have increased CPS, and
 feel much better about system breaches .... All for about $90.00!
 They will send a kit out for user installation. I think the
 number is 1-800-TELEBIT, and the lady I spoke with was Sally in
 upgrades.

 Thanks tons-

               If it looks like Chicken, and smells like Chicken,
               then its most likely Soy protein....
                             (203) 731-6341 Dan Peknik UPS R&D

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (11/29/90)

In article <7188@gaboon.UUCP> danp@gaboon.UUCP (Dan Peknik) writes:

> Does anyone happen to know of the Disktab entry for a CDC
> WREN 4 SCSI hard disk on the NeXt? I had the thing formatted a
> while ago, but need to pass on the information. Any help appreciated!

ok, all you have to do is plug the disk into your scsi port and then

% /usr/etc/scsimodes /dev/rsd1a (or whatever your scsi drive is
connected to. If you have an internal disk, the first external
should be /dev/rsd1a, if you don't have an internal, it should
be /dev/rsd0a). This will spit out the info you need to make a
disk tab:

	SCSI information for /dev/rsd0a
	Drive type: MAXTOR XT-8760S
	1024 bytes per sector
	28 sectors per track
	15 tracks per cylinder
	1632 cylinder per volume
	4 spare sectors per cylinder
	45 alternate tracks per volume
	676415 useable sectors on volume

	...and soforth.

(I don't have a WREN so I can't give you it's info... but it should
be easy enough to figure out.)

- Vareck
bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/29/90)

Ok. I have a Wren 4 that I picked up.  I'll be getting my NeXT cube shortly,
(hopefully :).  Now, the model I'm getting is a cube, with a 40 meg for
paging, and the magneto-optical drive.  What /dev devices are these?  Is there
going to be space for me to stick my Wren inside the case (it's a 5.25" full
height drive)?  What kind of cabling am I going to need?  What needs to be
terminated?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (11/30/90)

In article <657@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
>In article <7188@gaboon.UUCP> danp@gaboon.UUCP (Dan Peknik) writes:
>> Does anyone happen to know of the Disktab entry for a CDC
[stuff deleted]
>ok, all you have to do is plug the disk into your scsi port and then
[stuff deleted]
>% /usr/etc/scsimodes /dev/rsd1a (or whatever your scsi drive is
[stuff deleted]
>be /dev/rsd0a). This will spit out the info you need to make a
>disk tab:
>	SCSI information for /dev/rsd0a
>	Drive type: MAXTOR XT-8760S
>	1024 bytes per sector
[stuff deleted]

Okay, given all this, I propose that someone who knows all about
making disktabs (and who can program of course) write a filter
which takes the output of /usr/etc/scsimodes and creates a
corresponding disktab.

something like:

/usr/etc/scsimodes /dev/rsd1a | mkdisktab > disktab.rsd1a

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin