[comp.sys.next] g++, and other GNU utilities

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (11/29/90)

These questions have probably been asked several times, but here goes.

1) Can GNU g++ be added to a Next system?  (ie. is anything out of the
   ordinary involved when building the libraries and compiling g++?)

2) What about the GNU utilities such as make, find, etc. ?

3) As new versions of gcc and emacs come out, can I install them freely?

All comments appreciated.

Rick Fanta	(richf@adiron.uucp)
		"Those who speak, do not know.
		 Those who know, do not speak."
		-Ancient Taoist proverb

flank@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Brett Jacobson) (11/30/90)

In article <1077@adiron.UUCP> richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) writes:
>These questions have probably been asked several times, but here goes.
>
>1) Can GNU g++ be added to a Next system?  (ie. is anything out of the
>   ordinary involved when building the libraries and compiling g++?)
>
>2) What about the GNU utilities such as make, find, etc. ?
>
>3) As new versions of gcc and emacs come out, can I install them freely?

It is my understanding that the GNU g++ compiler forms the foundation of
the new C++ compiler included in Release 2.0, therefore, there should be
no problem porting it :-).  It is possible that  NeXT simply added a new
front end onto the old GNU C compiler, but doubtful.

GNU utilities should be no problem, as most already exist, and EMACS,
and others are distributed with the machine.

Chris Petrilli
(forwarded by Brett Jacobson)