[comp.sys.next] Summary: HD suggestions for NeXTstation?

rgc@wam.umd.edu (Ross Garrett Cutler) (11/30/90)

Hello,
Several days ago I posted the following:

>Hello,
>I, like many, opted to buy the 105 MB NeXTstation and go with an external
>SCSI disk.  Since I might get my NeXT soon, I was wondering if anyone
>out there has found a "good" HD (between 300-340 MB, external case, PS,
>*inexpensive*).  Since most HD's are still SCSI-1, I suppose I'd need a
>SCSI-2 to SCSI-1 cable; do I need to get this from NeXT, or does anyone
>know of a 3rd party vender?  Thanks very much!

I got lots of replies telling me that NeXT sells a SCSI-2 -> SCSI-1 cable
(which costs ~$35 educ. price), but few on HD's.  This would seem to
me to be a most important subject (more so that Mac emulation :-), yet
has recieved little attention.  What I'd like to see is some (cheap)
prices and opinions on the lastest drives out there.  Hundreds of
NeXTstation users would benefit from this information.

Anyway, thanks to those who responded.  Ross.

PS: Please don't email on this.

-----
Mike Matthews, matthews@is-next.umd.edu/matthews@umdd (bitnet).

I just got a 415M unformatted external SCSI drive (Fujitsu, formats to
338,500 bytes with 512 byte blocks -- will try 1024 byte blocks when I get
the appropriate software) from Mac!Direct!, list price is $1498, he gave $50
off for a NeXT purchase.

16ms avg seek time, *5 YEAR WARRANTY*, *200K hours MTBF*.  It's hooked up to
someone else's NeXTcube now, works great.

You'll need to get a SCSI 1->SCSI 2 cable, but the Emporium sells them too.
Since you're on WAM, that's where I am assuming you ordered it.  Cost is an
additional $35.70, incl. tax.

----
cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907

I bought a Fuji 2261 ~350Mb from Fast Access in Chicago for my old cube. I
don't know how much they want for it with a case, but you might give them
a call. I have a disktab entry for it. They are a little noisy when
accessing, but probably about the same as a CDC drive. They also have a
2263 which is close to 700Mb. The nice thing about these drives is that
they have a 5yr. warranty.

I talked to Mal Steadman (708) 530-7749.

----
From: Andrew Tyldesley <cs3ea3by@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>

I to have decided to buy the 105 machine and get a larger drive later so
I am very interested in what you find out. The following info is what I
have read and is *NOT* from personal experience.

BYTE magazine (Nov 90) has a review of a number of hard drives in the size
range you are interested. The Micrpolis 1684 seems to come out very well
Some of its features are:	5 1/4" half height
				SCSI-2
				340MB formatted
				14 ms average seek

Though in Mac User (Dec 90) their results were quit different and this
drive didn't fare so well. Anyhow, D-C-DRIVES (1-800-872-6007) gives
an advertised bare drive price of $1349 in Computer Monthly and
Computer Shopper. As for enclosures MacsPlace advertises a half height
case for $168 available in black that looks OK in the little photo
again I have no idea as to quality, phone 1-800-367-4222.

What I would like to know is how does the differences in SCSI 1 and 2
effect performance of a given drive on a next? You should get the above
magazines to take a look at other options. The MacUser mag lists what
mechanism the packaged drive uses which is useful when shopping for
lowest price. Let me know by mail or posting to the net what you find
out please.

		Andrew Tyldesley
-----
From morris@ana.COM Wed Nov 28 02:04:48 1990

We have 340MB SCSI drive for NeXt.
Price including cable, power supply is $1,950.00 COD or prepaid.
Morris
Galaxy Systems
(415)341-1865

--