[comp.sys.next] File System Full?????

chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) (11/28/90)

Hello, here is a real interesting case for NeXT.

I received the report that one of our NeXT is disk full.  So I went out
and checked it.  But the total number I've got for all the local files
is always 200MB less than the disk space.  So where did the 200MB go?

I went on checking the process table.  They are all friendlies.  No bad
guys.  However, two of the process looked strange enough.  It is a pair
of csh and mail processes.  I cannot find anything funny of those two
processes untill I check where did that user from.  The answer is:
ttyp2 of that NeXT.  What make this so special is there is no body login
from console of that machine at that time.  I myself and that user are the
only guys on that system.  So how the hell could those processes be there?
Again, the total space used by all the processes are only 40M also.  We
still come out 160MB short.  Since the that orphant tty session have been
idled for 11 hours.  I decided to kill them.  Once I did that, boom! All
the missing 200MB came back!

Gosh, could anyone of you who can make a reasonable explain of this for me.

-- Wen

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.080352.23755@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, chouw@buster.cps.msu.edu (Wen Hwa Chou) writes:

> Hello, here is a real interesting case for NeXT.

> I received the report that one of our NeXT is disk full.  So I went
> out and checked it.  But the total number I've got for all the local
> files is always 200MB less than the disk space.  So where did the
> 200MB go?

> [...runaway csh and mail, corresponding to someone who has already
> logged out...]
> Again, the total space used by all the processes are only 40M also.
> We still come out 160MB short.  Since the that orphant tty session
> have been idled for 11 hours.  I decided to kill them.  Once I did
> that, boom! All the missing 200MB came back!

Once a file is open, it remains in existence until it is closed.  (If
it has any names in the filesystem, it sticks around until they're gone
too.)  So either the csh or the mail - or both - presumably had a file
somewhere open, but all its names in the filesystem had been deleted.
When you killed the processes, this reference to the file went away and
it was deleted, thus freeing the space it was occupying.

This is not NeXT-specific; all UNIX variants I know of behave this way.
I suspect everything since V7 has.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu