[comp.sys.next] X11R4 addendum

dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (root@next1) (11/30/90)

Regarding my comments about X11R4 on the NeXT:
1.  Yes I have it.
2.  What I have has some bugs.
3.  I did not write it.
4.  I cannot give it out.
5.  I expect the people at McGill will announce it when they are done.
6.  X on a NeXT is like t*ts on a boar -- not real useful.  What makes us
     special (better) is NeXTStep.  Anyone can run X, but only a NeXT (or
     RS-6000) can run NeXTStep.  My personal feeling is, X is a neat toy, but
     if you but a NeXT, run NeXTStep. I know not everyone will agree, & I don't
     mean to start a religious war, but I don't want my comment that one CAN
     run X to be taken as though one SHOULD.

--
Dave Strout
NeXT Campus Consultant -- Miami University.

dastrout%miavx1.bitnet@pucc.princeton.edu
root@next1.acs.muohio.edu
513-523-8245

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/30/90)

In article <3012.27559c12@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> dastrout@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (root@next1) writes:
>5.  I expect the people at McGill will announce it when they are done.

Any predictions as to release date?

>6.  X on a NeXT is like t*ts on a boar -- not real useful.  What makes us

Very interesting analogy there 8-)
I have to disagree with you here.  X is VERY nice in a network of machines.
I don't have my NeXT yet, so I don't know, but I don't think that NeXTStep
supports a lot of the things that X does.  I agree that NeXTStep is more
asthetically pleasing, but, I'd like to be able to run X too.

>--
>Dave Strout
>NeXT Campus Consultant -- Miami University.
>-> The above ideas are mine only, unless you like them.  Then they represent
>whomever. <-

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805