[net.followup] map generation

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (08/15/85)

> You could have a complete world map in your car or airplane.  I can see it
> now.  Tie it in to a Loran-C and have a scrolling map constantly displayed
> of your current position.

Not good enough.  I want a wristwatch with a 1"-square color display screen,
which shows me the trail ahead as I'm hiking.  It should also be able to
draw and label the skyline from any point, and show routes up selected peaks.
Think I'm asking for too much?   :-)

Meanwhile, I'm settling for the 29300-entry USGS Geographic Names Information
System data base on Colorado named locations.  It just gives point locations
(in some cases, lines), and elevations (for about 17% of the entries).  It's
still fun to plot the data in various ways.

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
{ihnp4 | hplabs}!hpfcla!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"

keith@uiucme.uiucme (08/26/85)

>. Tie it in to a Loran-C and have a scrolling map

1.  NY State troopers have such a Loran-C system, sans graphics

2.  Loran accuracy depends heavily on uniform propogation over flat,
sea-level surfaces.  Recommend you get a scrolling map for your boat.

3.  Why Loran?  Omega is the wave of the future and SatNav is the future
waving back.

:r .signature
Keith
U of Ill Mech Eng
uiucdcs!uiucme!keith

lanoitnetninu ylerup si daed ro gnivil nosrep yna ot ecnalbmeseR

(6 years U.S. Coast Guard)

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (09/02/85)

In article <900002@uiucme> keith@uiucme.uiucme writes:
>3.  Why Loran?  Omega is the wave of the future and SatNav is the future
>waving back.
>(6 years U.S. Coast Guard)

  Omega is pretty outdated and DOD is not committing to keeping it around
forever.  The Global Positioning System (GPS) is now partially up and is
usable over large sections of the world.  GPS is truly the wave of the
future.
--

Bruce Karsh
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics