[comp.sys.next] 030 Network Cube Dilemma

thamer@gecko.cis.ohio-state.edu (M T ) (11/30/90)

  Ok, here's the situation: I just picked up my 030 Cube from Businessland.
However, I ordered the one without the optical drive, it only has the
40MB swap drive.
  Now, of course the system won't boot, since it can't find any hard drive,
and its not connected to any network - all I get is "Bad Network" message.
  My plan is to connect a ~300MB HD to the system, and get system 2.0, and
eventually the 040 upgrade board and floppy drive.  This is tricky since I
can't boot, and have no optical or floppy for loading software.

Which is the best option for an optical-less cube:?

1) Buy a 3rd party 300MB internal HD for $1200, and 2.0 on optical disk for $185.
     and   A.  Borrow someone's optical drive, connect it to my cube,
		boot from it, init my HD, and dump 2.0 to my HD.
     or    B.  Connect my internal HD to someone else's cube (who has an
		optical, format it, and put 2.0 on it.

2) Buy the NeXT 105MB HD (preloaded with Release 2.0) for $725, and the
new NeXT 200MB HD for $700.  I assume that I could boot off the 105MB and
then init the 200MB.  Later, I could get the missing extended software,
perhaps on floppy.  However, is there space for both drives inside the cube ?

3) Buy a 3rd party HD ($1200), and NeXT floppy drive ($500), and hope
that NeXT decides to sell the 2.0 release on floppy someday soon.
Then boot off floppy, initialize HD, and install 2.0.

BTW, what should I do with that 40MB swap drive.  Will it be useless
with a larger HD and no optical in my system ?

I'm leaning towards option #2 if its feasible.  Any other ideas would be
greatly appreciated ...

	Thanks,

--
	"Two days ago I saw a vehicle that'd haul that tanker.
	 You wanna get out of here; you talk to me."   Max - The Road Warrior

	 M. Thamer @cis.ohio-state.edu

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (12/01/90)

Yes, you can put both the 105 MB drive and the 200 MB drive in the
 "old" cube, *provided* it (the cube) is of fairly recent manufacture.
To determine this, just pull of the back, and see if you have four
mount points on the drive case.  If yes, you can do it, if not, you
can't, unless you can get someone to swap drive cases with you ;-)
(they just slide out like the motherboard).  So.....it is possible
to install these two mechanisms (they are both half-height) into the
your hypothetical old netstation. BUT you won't have an internal
floppy drive.  You will (if you want it) have to wait for NeXT to
offer an internal floppy upgrade [or do it yourself] or buy an external.
Interesting idea.

-Bill-
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (12/01/90)

Oops...I meant to say you could install them both in the net cube,
but you wouldn't be able to put the internal floppy drive in if
you don't have one of the newer cases. [Nor could you put in an
optical and the two drives without one of the newer cases- etc.]
Thoroughly confused now??
-Bill-
--

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (12/01/90)

In article <86428@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <thamer@gecko.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>2) Buy the NeXT 105MB HD (preloaded with Release 2.0) for $725, and the
>new NeXT 200MB HD for $700.  I assume that I could boot off the 105MB and
>then init the 200MB.  Later, I could get the missing extended software,
>perhaps on floppy.  However, is there space for both drives inside the cube ?
>	 M. Thamer @cis.ohio-state.edu

I didn't know about a new 200mb drive option.  Could you give us some
more information?

(Question for class discussion:  Why isn't NeXT telling us this stuff?)

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao)writes:

>In article <SMITHW.90Nov30100909@hamblin.hamblin.math.byu.edu>
> smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) writes:
>>To determine this, just pull of the back, and see if you have four
>>mount points on the drive case.  If yes, you can do it, if not, you

>       but hou about cables? there's only one powercord comes out from
>powersuply which is used to be connected to the 40 MB swapdisk, and the
>ribon cable of SCSI that is to be connected to only one device... how do I
>arrange them so to have more SCSI deviced in my Cube?

There are two power cords coming out of the power supply cage and
the ribbon cable has two connectors on it.  Want more? You'll have
to chain them.

-Bill-
--
            __________________Prof. William V. Smith____________________
EMail:  smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu  or  uunet!hamblin.math.byu.edu!smithw
SMail:          Math Dept. -- 314 TMCB; BYU; Provo, UT 84602 (USA)
NeXTmail:                   smithw@mathnx.math.byu.edu
Phone:            +1 801 378 2061         FAX:  +1 801 378 2800

smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith) (12/01/90)

Distribution:world
Sender: news@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Usenet News)

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/01/90)