[comp.sys.next] Problem starting 030 Cube

IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A. Venkatesan) (11/23/90)

Hi,  Well, I am one of those who purchased a 030 Cube, during Businessland's
recent firesale. It's a Cube with no hard disk. The machine reached me
yesterday and I found that I could'nt get it working. When the power is turned
on, it says 'Testing the System', then 'Loading from the Disk' and then 'SCSI
error' and that's it. Nothing else happens. I called Businessland and they are
not sure what's wrong. So I'm planning to send it back to them tomorrow for
rectifying the problem. Meanwhile, I wondered, if any of you out there know
what the problem is and what the solution might be; or if you have faced a
similar problem.
        If so, please email me or post it as quickly as possible. I would like
to avoid this business of sending it back to them etc. and all the accompanying
delays, if I can.
                            Thanks,                   Venky.

PS: I think somebody had a similar problem and had mentioned it here some time
back, though if I remember correctly, the machine started working despite
mentioning 'SCSI error'.

T.C.A.VENKATESAN
IO92395@MAINE,
DEPT. OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY,
UNIV. OF MAINE,                       TEL.NO. : (207) 866-3274 (RES.)
ORONO, MAINE 04469.                             (207) 581-1022 (OFF.)

keith@panews (12/01/90)

In article <90326.124515IO92395@MAINE.BITNET> IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A. Venkatesan) writes:
>When the power is turned
>on, it says 'Testing the System', then 'Loading from the Disk' and then 'SCSI
>error' and that's it. Nothing else happens.
>
>PS: I think somebody had a similar problem and had mentioned it here some time
>back, though if I remember correctly, the machine started working despite
>mentioning 'SCSI error'.
>
>T.C.A.VENKATESAN
>IO92395@MAINE,
>DEPT. OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY,
>UNIV. OF MAINE,                       TEL.NO. : (207) 866-3274 (RES.)
>ORONO, MAINE 04469.                             (207) 581-1022 (OFF.)

We at IBM have had this problem.  We haven't had time to figure it out
(probably a bad board; you should send it back, especially since it's new)
but if you press Command-` (that's above the 7 on the numeric keypad) to
get to the ROM monitor, then type b and hit return, it should boot up OK.

Keith Mason
----
Disclaimer: This article was posted by me, not IBM. It is just a person to
person helpful hint.  It is not an official IBM statement.