[comp.sys.next] Lwiint With Next

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/16/90)

Just got my NeXTcube from Bizland and haven't been able to get it to
work with my LaserWriter IINT.  The printer works fine with the Mac.  On
the NeXT I tried both "unknown" printer and LaserWriter Plus.  What do
I do?
--Mitch

--

   	Mitch Alland, Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
   	via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/16/90)

I put up an earlier message saying that I couldn't print to a
laserWriter from the NeXT.  Checking the console, I beleive the problem
must be incorrect ownership of the lock file or spooling directory
(whatever that means) because the "console" showed the following
messages: "PrintManager [196] cannot chdir to sppoling directory, cannot
stat lock file." Also the following "localhost mgr[110]: 10001 couldn't
change to spool directory, /usr/spool/NeXT/Local_Printer"
Anyone know the solution, for an ignaramus in Unix?
--Mitch

--

In article <2438.27446F82@blkcat.fidonet.org>
	Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) writes:
>Just got my NeXTcube from Bizland and haven't been able to get it to
>work with my LaserWriter IINT.  The printer works fine with the Mac.  On
>the NeXT I tried both "unknown" printer and LaserWriter Plus.  What do
>I do?

It's closer to LaserWriter Plus.

This worked OK for us (though 9600 is oh-so-slow):

Local_Printer|lw: \
	:lp=/dev/ttya:ty=LaserWriter NT:sd=/usr/spool/lw:tr=^D:note: \
	:lf=/usr/adm/lp-log:af=/usr/adm/lp.acct:br#9600:rw:fc#0000374: \
	:fs#0000003:xc#0:xs#0040040:mx#0:sf:sb:if=/usr/lib/transcript/psif: \
	:gf=/usr/lib/transcript/psgf:nf=/usr/lib/transcript/psnf: \
	:tf=/usr/lib/transcript/pstf:rf=/usr/lib/transcript/psrf: \
	:vf=/usr/lib/transcript/psvf:cf=/usr/lib/transcript/pscf: \
	:df=/usr/lib/transcript/psdf:

The only notable limitation here is that you're stuck with 7-bit
data, which isn't a severe restriction, except for a few cases
I've seen where image is used with readstring instead of
readhexstring.

Drop the above in a file, say

mkdir /usr/spool/lw
chown daemon.daemon /usr/spool/lw
chmod 770 /usr/spool/lw
niload printcap . <filename

and restart lpd.
					-=EPS=-

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/24/90)

I tried to print with the Tekton font that I transferred from the
Mac to the NeXT, but all the text in Tekton came out in Courier
because Tekton is not one of the fonts resident in the
LaserWriter.  On the Mac there's a program called Font Downloader
that downloads non-reident fonts.  What do I have to do on the
NeXT?
--Mitch

--

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (12/01/90)

In article <2550.2750F5C9@blkcat.fidonet.org> Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) writes:
|I tried to print with the Tekton font that I transferred from the
|Mac to the NeXT, but all the text in Tekton came out in Courier
|because Tekton is not one of the fonts resident in the
|LaserWriter.  On the Mac there's a program called Font Downloader
|that downloads non-reident fonts.  What do I have to do on the
|NeXT?

Well, there is a Font Downloader that comes with NeXT fonts, too, but
only if you buy them from Adobe in NeXT format.