[comp.sys.next] Next Wish List

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/20/90)

As a business user, here are the programs that I'd like to see on the
NeXT,
not including the one s that have already been announced in NeXT's
"Software
and Peripherals" publication, such as SoftPC and HyperCube:
Symantec MORE 3.0
Aldus Persuasion
Aldus PageMaker (yes, despite FrameMaker)
Claris MacProject II
CheckFree
Softview MacInTax
Adobe TrueForm
Caere Omni (OCR software)
KaleidaGraph or DeltaGraph
Acius 4th Dimension
Reference Software Grammatik
Macromind Director
CompuServe Navigator
and, maybe, THINK Pascal
Of course the preesing need for some of these programs would be
mitigated if
we had a "SoftMac."
--Mitch

--

   	Mitch Alland, Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
   	via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway

my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) (11/22/90)

I would like to add the following from the point of
view of a PC user (using MS Window 3.0).

	- MS Word
	- Cross Talk
	- Venture Publisher
	- Corel Draw
	- MS PowerPoint

	- AutoCAD and Generic CAD
	- Viewlogic (a E-CAD system) using the NeXT interface
	- Cadence

	- and a lot of games like the MACs. ;)

-- Mike

PS: So it is a pure wish list ...

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (11/22/90)

In article <2489.274A5E64@blkcat.fidonet.org> Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) writes:
>As a business user, here are the programs that I'd like to see on the
>NeXT,

[wishes deleted]

Personally, I'd much rather have new software developed from the
ground up than ports/copies of existing applications from
the PC/Mac world.

The reason being: the NeXT is so ``insanely greater'' than previous
platforms, that the software can really be ``done right'' if
developers rethink things from the ground up. Lotus Improv
is one example---they free the spreadsheet from many unnecessary,
unnatural, and unholy constraints spawned during the PC/Mac generation.

I appreciate that businesses users have more pressing concerns
than aesthetically correct software,
but hopefully their need for ``backward compatibility'' can be met
by having ultra-sharp apps that are data-backwards-compatible,
instead of just having more backwards apps :-)

I think lotus Improv is great for showing how things could be done,
and I hope they---or others---similarly rework other apps.
--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

IMHO, It's usually a mistake to ask for particular programs "by
name" as opposed to particular functionality--you're likely to
end up with relatively crippled software.  The NeXT is a far more
capable machine than PCs and Macs, and it's just plain stupid to
try and clone the old stuff.  (Politics notwithstanding) I think
Lotus set a very good example by producing Improv rather than
1-2-3.  Improv will import 1-2-3 files, so your investment is
protected, but it's sooo much of an improvement over what it
replaces.

We have better <wordprocessors, databases, spreadsheets,
you-name-it> already.  If you keep asking vendors for CRAP you
are going to get CRAP (this is called "responding to market
demand").  "Well, we wanted to do things that exploited the
unique features of the machine, but our customers kept telling
us they wanted CRAP, so what were we to do?  It's a good thing
our competitors think the same way or our sales would be in the
toilet."  Hogwash!  I really don't think companies can get away
with this unless there are enough customers "stupid enough to cut
their own throats"--it's very expensive to bring a product to
market, and any company that can't GUARANTEE enough sales of
wimpified software is going to lose bigtime as soon as someone
trivially fills that market niche with a vastly superior product.

BTW, When companies do develop "the same" program for multiple
platforms they report that it's much easier for the NeXT.  Adobe
is showing off Illustrator 3.0 for the Mac for BMUG (local Mac
user group) tonight.  They showed it for the NeXT TWO MONTHS AGO
for BaNG (local NeXT user group), at which time they couldn't
announce a date for Mac availability.  I think we're going to see
more stories like this.

					-=EPS=-

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (11/22/90)

In article <786@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry
Merriman) writes:

   Personally, I'd much rather have new software developed from the
   ground up than ports/copies of existing applications from
   the PC/Mac world.

   The reason being: the NeXT is so ``insanely greater'' than previous
   platforms, that the software can really be ``done right'' if
   developers rethink things from the ground up. Lotus Improv
   is one example---they free the spreadsheet from many unnecessary,
   unnatural, and unholy constraints spawned during the PC/Mac generation.

This is certainly true for flexible, general purpose applications like
spreadsheets, wordprocessors, programming environments, etc. It is
less obvious for specifically targeted things. I know I'd much rather
have a straight port of MacinTax right now than a re-thought version
in six months (i.e., after 15 April.....)

Steve Anderson

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/23/90)

I don't ask much, I want a Flight Simulator that is at least as good as, or
much better than Flisht Simulator 4.0 which is available on MS-DOS machines.

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

In article <11586@milton.u.washington.edu>
	cyliao@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>I don't ask much, I want a Flight Simulator that is at least as good as, or
>much better than Flisht Simulator 4.0 which is available on MS-DOS machines.

BO-RING.  I want a Flight Simulator that blows the pants off
Silicon Graphics' dogfight (running over the network, too!).

You think we're buying color NeXTs to view GIF images???
Guess again.

					-=EPS=-

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (11/23/90)

In article <1034@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>I want a Flight Simulator that blows the pants off
>Silicon Graphics' dogfight (running over the network, too!).

Yeah...for instance, integrated stereo sound effects,
voice input to control the plane and a heads up display (good
way to exercise those alpha channels!)

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/24/90)

Yes, but when SoftPC for the NeXT comes out in February, you'll be able
to run all of these PC programs on the NeXT.
--Mitch

--

   	Mitch Alland, Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org
   	via The Black Cat's Shack's FidoNet<->Usenet Gateway
	    blkcat.fidonet.org   and   Fidonet 1:109/401

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/24/90)

> From: eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott)
> Date: 22 Nov 90 03:01:13 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
>
> IMHO, It's usually a mistake to ask for particular programs "by
> name" as opposed to particular functionality--you're likely to
> end up with relatively crippled software.  The NeXT is a far more
> capable machine than PCs and Macs, and it's just plain stupid to
> try and clone the old stuff.  (Politics notwithstanding) I think
> Lotus set a very good example by producing Improv rather than
> 1-2-3.  Improv will import 1-2-3 files, so your investment is
> protected, but it's sooo much of an improvement over what it
> replaces.
>
> We have better <wordprocessors, databases, spreadsheets,
> you-name-it> already.  If you keep asking vendors for CRAP you
> are going to get CRAP (this is called "responding to market
> demand").  "Well, we wanted to do things that exploited the
> unique features of the machine, but our customers kept telling
> us they wanted CRAP, so what were we to do?  It's a good thing
> our competitors think the same way or our sales would be in the
> toilet."  Hogwash!  I really don't think companies can get away
> with this unless there are enough customers "stupid enough to cut
> their own throats"--it's very expensive to bring a product to
> market, and any company that can't GUARANTEE enough sales of
> wimpified software is going to lose bigtime as soon as someone
> trivially fills that market niche with a vastly superior product.
>
> BTW, When companies do develop "the same" program for multiple
> platforms they report that it's much easier for the NeXT.  Adobe
> is showing off Illustrator 3.0 for the Mac for BMUG (local Mac
> user group) tonight.  They showed it for the NeXT TWO MONTHS AGO
> for BaNG (local NeXT user group), at which time they couldn't
> announce a date for Mac availability.  I think we're going to see
> more stories like this.
>
>                                         -=EPS=-
> 0
>

> --- QM v1.00
>  * Origin: blkcat.fidonet.org - Usenet<->Fidonet Gateway (1:109/40.0)
Yes, but competition will make you do the best you can that's how we got
DTP and PageMaker.  As for Adobe Illustrator, I received my Mac version
3.0 last week but Adobe told me the NeXT version will be out in March
--Mitch

--

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (11/24/90)

In article <1031@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Adobe is showing off Illustrator 3.0 for the Mac for BMUG (local Mac
>user group) tonight.  They showed it for the NeXT TWO MONTHS AGO
>for BaNG (local NeXT user group), at which time they couldn't
>announce a date for Mac availability.

Although I agree with your point in general about NeXT being a good
development platform, this last point is a bit misleading, I think.

Adobe is actually shipping Illustrator 3.0 for the Mac, and they are
not yet shipping the NeXT version, all other things being equal.  They
also were demoing the Mac version at Seybold last month, and I'm sure
before that, as well.

As for "they couldn't announce a date for Mac availability," I am
pretty sure that's because they are different development teams and
different marketing people, and the NeXT team at Adobe simply didn't
want to put words into the mouths of the Mac team in a public forum.
There is a good chance that they knew perfectly well when the Mac
product would ship, and also a good chance that they actually had no
idea :-)

This is all just anecdote, and nothing is implied one way or the other.

rsw@cs.brown.EDU (Bob Weiner) (11/24/90)

In article <1542@berlioz.nsc.com> my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) writes:

> I would like to add the following from the point of
> view of a PC user (using MS Window 3.0).
>
> 	- MS Word
> 	- Cross Talk
> 	- Venture Publisher
> 	- Corel Draw
> 	- MS PowerPoint

Let me suggest that this sort of posting be discontinued for it adds
nothing to the discussion.  Everyone, including the developer market,
knows that PC and Mac applications that sell well on those platforms
would be useful on Next machines.  But many developers want to wait for
a large market to develop before porting to the machines; this is their
choice.  And the fact that people who are interested in Next machines
are willing to publicly attest that they want to use these programs on
the machine is not telling them anything new.  They play by the numbers.

So if you really want to see such things happen, generate guaranteed
orders for thousands of copies yourself.  You then will have the ear
of at least the medium-sized developers.

			Bob

--
Bob Weiner				   rsw@cs.brown.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (11/24/90)

In article <RSW.90Nov24015442@slate.cs.brown.EDU> rsw@cs.brown.EDU (Bob Weiner) writes:
>In article <1542@berlioz.nsc.com> my@dtg.nsc.com (Michael Yip) writes:
>
>> I would like to add the following from the point of
>> view of a PC user (using MS Window 3.0).
>>
>> 	- MS Word
>> 	- Cross Talk
>> 	- Venture Publisher
>> 	- Corel Draw
>> 	- MS PowerPoint
>
>Let me suggest that this sort of posting be discontinued for it adds
>nothing to the discussion.

[stuff deleted re everyone knows,etc...]

Let me add that I couldn't care less if these programs get ported to the
NeXT. If people want to run them then they can buy a $1000 clone or use
SoftPC. Surely we want better programs than that. I didn't get a NeXT
just to see the same old stuff reappearing{

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (11/24/90)

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman):
| Personally, I'd much rather have new software developed from the
| ground up than ports/copies of existing applications from
| the PC/Mac world.
|
| The reason being: the NeXT is so ``insanely greater'' than previous
| platforms, that the software can really be ``done right'' if
| developers rethink things from the ground up. Lotus Improv
| is one example---they free the spreadsheet from many unnecessary,
| unnatural, and unholy constraints spawned during the PC/Mac generation.

  Hang on one minute... I think we can all agree the NeXT is a very nice
environment for developers. I must disagree, however, with the idea that
previous applications were "constraints." I guess you are real handy
with an eraser so doing spreadsheet things by hand allows you to easily
rearrange how your numbers are displayed. This naturally easy task must
be cramped by the likes of 1-2-3 and Excel.
  Software metaphors will undoubtedly continue to get better along the
lines of 1-2-3 --> Improv. Let's not go overboard by calling things what
they are not.
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "Get bent."

Mitch.Alland@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Mitch Alland) (11/25/90)

In article <786@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry
Merriman) writes:  "Personally, I'd much rather have new software
developed from the ground up than ports/copies of existing
applications from the PC/Mac world. The reason being: the NeXT is
so ``insanely greater'' than previous    platforms, that the software
can really be ``done right'' if developers rethink things from the
ground up. Lotus Improv is one example---they free the spreadsheet
from many unnecessary, unnatural, and unholy constraints spawned
during the PC/Mac generation."
That's fine and I'm all for killer applications on the NeXT, making
full use of its special capabilities.  But in the meantime I have to
get my work done, so if I have to give a talk in Sao Paulo or Tokyo
and I need overheads or slides and handoutd of them as well as
speakernotes, I cannot use my new NeXT but have to go back to the Mac
and run Aldus Persuasion (the best of its kind) to help me prepare my
speech quickly.
Yes Improv is great, but it doesn't have macros--Lotus says a future
release will. When?  In the meantime, I run a department of 20 people
(we do project financing in South America) and keep a Lotus
spreadsheet on our Banyan LAN on which my staff enters information on
our project pipeline (projects that we are likely to do).  Every week,
I pick this up on my Mac, run an Excel macro, and withing two minutes
I have a fully formatted pipeline report based on probability
categories for the various projects.  If I use a NeXT in the office
(Ihave one at home), I'll have to go back to having my secretary do
this manually: lost time and errors creep in.
I'm looking into buying 40 NeXTs for the department. The absence of
macros in Improv and lack of programs like More 3.0, Aldus Persuasion,
MacProject II, Caere Omnipage and Adobe TrueForm is a serious
deterrent.
For personal use I miss programs such as CheckFree, MacInTax,
MacroMind Director, CompuServe Navigator and the best flight simulator
of them all, Mustang P51 (Bullseye Software).  And how about some
improvements to the Chess program on the NeXT, like a move list
onscreen, a game replay capability, showing the square coordinate
labes on the screen?  Also, thereUs a bug that says Black wins when
White does.
In another message someone took me to task for posting messages about
software I wanted on the NeXT; he said I should offer to buy 5,000
copies of a program and I'd get it.  That's obviously absurd.  I think
it is not obvious to developers what users want.  If it were, the
author of that message would be a lot richer than he is.
Come to think of it here's another wish for some utilities on the
NeXT.  A Mac Scrapbook type utility would be useful, so would a
DiskTop-type find file program. also DiskTops's DT Launch feature
which allows you to have a menu of applications _and_ files that you
can run--this could be implemented by letting the user add lists of
files to the applications in the Dock and haing the list pop up when
the user clicks on the icon in the dock while pressing Alternate.
This would add convenience and save time.
--Mitch

--

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (11/26/90)

In article <1034@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>You think we're buying color NeXTs to view GIF images???

There's a lot to be said for color gif images.

>					-=EPS=-

- Vareck

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (11/28/90)

>This is all just anecdote, and nothing is implied one way or the other.

Yet an Adobe person told me that the product was largely developed
on a cube in the beginning. Oh well, you'd know better than anybody
else here, I imagine.

Say just how much of PS is in the Mac version of Ilus. anyway?
Enquiring minds and all of that stuff..

How likely is it that DisplayTalk will be available for the
040 machines any time soon...I just got my copy and am really
not going to be too happy to lose it...

Advertisements for others: if you're doing serious DPS hacking
on your cube, be sure and pick up a copy of "Thinking In PostScript"
by Glenn Reid. It's rather basic for most programmers, but the PS-specific
insights contained in the CS101 examples are far from basic. A beginner
could take this book and become a programmer and in the process (without
knowing it) become a much better PS hacker than most experienced
programmers would be after a week of plowing through the RGB books.
It's given me several ideas already for my program, and I'm only
halfway through with it.

Just sit down with a copy of this book and DisplayTalk and you;ll
ber very fluent in no time flat.

- g

dtgcube (Edward Jung) (12/01/90)

Although I think that Improv is really quite the cool product,
I can't help wishing that it had a real macro language or
other automation support.

--
Edward Jung                             The Deep Thought Group, L.P.
BIX: ejung                                     1518 1st Avenue South

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (12/04/90)

In article <917@autodesk.COM> glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) writes:
>Say just how much of PS is in the Mac version of Ilus. anyway?
>Enquiring minds and all of that stuff..

There is very little of PS in any version of Illustrator, really, in
the sense of a language interpreter.  There is a simplified parser
that can recognize PostScript tokens and look for ones that are of
interest to Illustrator, but it can't execute any of the code.  Some of
the fill, stroke, and clip algorithms also appear to be built into the
drawing code in Illustrator, but to my knowledge there isn't any
language mechanism at all.

>Advertisements for others: if you're doing serious DPS hacking
>on your cube, be sure and pick up a copy of "Thinking In PostScript"
>by Glenn Reid.

Thanks!