[comp.sys.next] What's the Vulcan nerve pinch for the cube and slab?

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (11/30/90)

Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?

TIA,
dan

davison@uh.edu
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.015912.10786@lavaca.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
>on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?

command-command-tilde

moose@svc.portal.com (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.015912.10786@lavaca.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
>on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?

cmd-cdm-`
--
Michael Rutman				|	moose@svc.portal.com
Cubist					|	makes me a NeXT programmer

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (12/01/90)

In article <10534@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:

   In article <1990Nov30.015912.10786@lavaca.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
   >Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
   >on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?

   command-command-tilde

Actually, there's a couple versions.  Command-tilde gets the mini-monitor,
command-command-tilde gets something (the regular monitor?  I always use
right-command-tilde) and left-command-left-alt-keypad* blows the machine
away (ie, shuts it down).

Now, for the disclaimer - never, ever use these.  If you use them often,
especially the alt-com-*, expect your machine to develop huge disk
problems, and eventually data loss.  These machines aren't _made_
for that kind of abuse.

I warned you.
--
scott hess
scott@gac.edu

Eric.Thayer@cs.cmu.edu (Eric H. Thayer) (12/01/90)

writes:
> Davison) writes:
> >Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
> >on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?
>
> command-command-tilde

Or for more fun:

right-command-backquote     ; this one brings up a reboot panel
alternate-command-star        ; this one does an immediate reset (use only
in emergencies).

----------------------------------
Replies can have NeXT attachments in them
Phone: (412)268-7679

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov30.015912.10786@lavaca.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
>on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?

Command-command-backquote (hold down both command keys and hit the
backquote character in the upper-left corner of the numeric keypad).

stone@triton.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (12/04/90)

In article <338@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>In article <1990Nov30.015912.10786@lavaca.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>>Also known as the "three-finger salute".  On PCs it's control-alt-del,
>>on Suns L1-A, but is there one on the cube?
>
>Command-command-backquote (hold down both command keys and hit the
>backquote character in the upper-left corner of the numeric keypad).

 Right Command-backquote is the Vulcan Mind Meld: it just gives you a softer
 landing supposedly, and it asks you to type r to restart,instead of
 throwing you into the monitor, which might be frightening for the naive
 user.

	andrew