[comp.sys.next] Problems with kermit

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov28.010147.15990@shell.shell.com>, got@medusa (Gordon Tillman PFGotM) writes:
> Hello all!
>
> I have an '030, Version 1.0 cube.  I recently downloaded the source for
> kermit (a very laborious process).  I build it using the command
> 'make bsd', which looked like the best option for the NeXT.
>
> I can receive files with it and can use the 'remote host' commands just
> fine.  Whenever I try to send files with it, I get a 'Bus error'.  Kermit
> exits back to the cshell.
>
> Does anyone know what that error might signify?

Due to a minor error in the Kermit source, the send command does die with a Bus
error.  It turns out that the author accidentially referenced a null pointer.
It has been more than six months since I tracked it down, so I can't remember
the exact details, except that it was an easy fix.  My clue was that "send"
worked correctly on a 68010 UNIX system we had, but not the NeXT.  I can send
you a working copy of kermit and the source if you would like.  Let me know.  I
will put a copy of the working executable in the anonymous FTP account on
FTP.GAC.EDU.  The source is on an optical disk in my office, so I can't do
anything with it now.  Let me know if you are interested.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

ta-aca@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) (12/04/90)

>> [problem compiling kermit, probably version 4E from what I can deduce in
>> the message ... used "make bsd"]
> [various mumbo jumbo about a null pointer]

Save yourselves some grief (unless this is REALLY a pain for you to do) and
ftp the latest (5A(163)) version of kermit from watsun.cc.columbia.edu.  I
have successfully compiled it on my 1.0 cube.  Also, please note that the
makefile for 5A (and for 4E btw) both contain a next: clause in the makefile.
Thus, just "make next" don't "make bsd"

The files you will have to download are (minimum to build kermit):
  cku*.c cku*.h ckc*.h ckc*.c ckc*.w ckwart.c ckuker.mak

rename the ckuker.mak to Makefile (or makefile) when you get it to your next,
type "make next" and you're done.

aca (squish)

ta-aca@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew C. Athan) (12/04/90)

Please forgive the following omission from my previous note:

look in the directory kermit/sw for the files.

aca (squish)