[comp.sys.next] Steve Jobs

p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu (Patricia L. Reynolds) (11/09/90)

Help!  I'm writing an paper on Steve Jobs, the man and the myth.
What I want is to get some info on the man himself, but I'll take any
information that anyone can give me.  What would be extremely helpful
would be his E-mail address, if he even has one.

Just to let you know:  The paper is going to be written as if it's for
a magazine.  The magazine I chose was Cosmpolitan.  I'm planning on
making this a spectacular article, with all sorts of bits and pieces
from Steve Jobs' past, present, and future.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Trish
p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu

Mailing address:

Mary Lyon Hall
Box 59
Plymouth State College
Plymouth, NH  03264
Phone: (603) 535-5445

alexn@xgate.austin.ibm.com (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.144606.22532@oz.plymouth.edu> p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu (Patricia L. Reynolds) writes:
>Help!  I'm writing an paper on Steve Jobs, the man and the myth.
>What I want is to get some info on the man himself, but I'll take any
>information that anyone can give me.  What would be extremely helpful
>would be his E-mail address, if he even has one.
>
>Just to let you know:  The paper is going to be written as if it's for
>a magazine.  The magazine I chose was Cosmpolitan.  I'm planning on
>making this a spectacular article, with all sorts of bits and pieces
>from Steve Jobs' past, present, and future.
>
>Thank you for any help you can give me.
>
>Trish
>p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu
>
>Mailing address:
>
>Mary Lyon Hall
>Box 59
>Plymouth State College
>Plymouth, NH  03264
>Phone: (603) 535-5445

I'm sure that a lot of people on this net can give you some information on
Steve Jobs but it would be useful if you would tell us what kind of info
you are looking for.  On the other hand, I have read the following books (all
of them many times) and have found a lot of personal information on the man.
These wonderful books include:

	1. The Journey Is the Reward -- the author's name escapes me at the
		moment since I lent the book out to a friend but this is
		probably the best source of information on Steve Jobs; it
		starts from his precocious childhood, leads up to his teens
		and where he went to high school, his meeting with Steve
	 	Wozniak and the founding of Apple with Woz (and of course,
		Mike Markula), his experiences with Eastern religions which
		led up to his trip to India and his disillusionment with
		what he found there, his visit to Xerox PARC and his
		obsession to create the Mac, his meeting with John Sculley
		and his departure from Apple to form NeXT, inc.  The title
		from the book is from a Tao belief (which Jobs also subscribe
		to and tried to instill in his (ex)Mac software artists) that
		the journey, not the destination, is the reward.
	2. Odyssey -- an autobiography by John Sculley(sp?), head honcho at
		Apple with a lot of information on how Steve works and
		what led up to Jobs leaving Apple.
	3. Fire In the Valley -- a book on the computer industry with a couple
		of chapters on Apple and hence Steve Jobs.
	4. Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution -- a book on various
		people who were involved with the "Computer Revolution".  Not
		that much info on Jobs but a good book overall.
	5. Silicon Portraits -- I haven't read this book yet but it's a
		collection of profiles of various personalities in the
		computer industry.  There's probably nothing here that you
		couldn't get from the other books.
	6. Fortune article -- I believe the date on this article was from
		sometime last year but the topic of the article was on
		the licensing agreement of NeXTStep between IBM and NeXT.
		Contains an anecdote about how Jobs approached Akers and told
		him how to sell more computers and how Jobs sold a computer
		to a king (or prince).

This is all I have.  If you had any specific questions, please post them
and I am sure that someone on the net would be happy to answer them.
Incidentally, I remember reading a rumor on this net that Jobs recently got
married!  Don't know if it's true....

Hope this helps....with kind regards

Alex

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/12/90)

-------
Also check out "West of Eden" (a fascinating history of Apple) and "Accidental
Millionaire", a bio of Jobs.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

knrgroup@garnet.berkeley.edu (Raymond group) (11/12/90)

West of Eden is an excellent book on the more recent years at Apple.
Michael Moritz's Little Kingdom chronicles the earlier years.
The Accidental Millionaire espouses the thesis that Steve Jobs rode
the coattails of Wozniak to fame and riches.  However, the Accidental
Millionaire reads too much like it was written by a businessman with no
technical expertise making technical arguments, with sometimes comical
effects.

John Sculley's Odyssey is very revealing, of both Sculley and Jobs.

When reading any of these books though, read between the lines and realize
that objectivity is nearly non-existent in biographies and histories.
A good book, after all, usually argues a controversial thesis.

p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu (Patricia L. Reynolds) (11/13/90)

I just wanted to thank everyone who sent me information on Steve Jobs.
I will really come in handy.  Also I would like to answer everyone's
question: "Why Cosmopolitan?"  Well I thought it was about time
computer scientist were protrayed as sexy and smart, which they are!
I'm really sick of computer scientists being geeks with pocket
protectors and big, thick eyeglasses, aren't you?  So I thought if I
could present a man who was sexy, smart, and charismatic to the world,
especially the women of the world (which I am, but no one needs to
tell me computer scientist are sexy), I thought maybe we would stop
being protrayed as geeks.

Also, I would like to thank the people who warned me about contacting
Steve Jobs personally. I am utterly prepared to be shot down, but at least
that is something I can include in my article.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Trish
p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu

PS   I would like to post the article to the net.  Please expect it
around December 4.  I will definitely be looking for responses.

PSS  Please keep the information and the suggestions on material
coming in.

"Only my soul stops me cryin'
 	Wonderin why I feel alone
 and Only my love keeps me from weepin so bad
 	givin me strength to carry on"
 				----Whitesnake

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/16/90)

  A book which is kinder to Steve Jobs than some, and provides some scathing
criticism of Apple for you Apple-haters out there :-) :-) :-) is "The
Macintosh Way" by Guy Kawasaki.

  However, he says some things about NeXT which you might find offensive, so
you'd better find someone neutral to read it to you. :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu (Patricia L. Reynolds) (11/19/90)

I want to thank everyone who wrote me, again.  And----I want to admit
I was wrong:  Steve Jobs is much too complex for the readers of
Cosmopolitan to understand.  The more research I did, the harder it
was for me to put it into the format I was planning on.  Also,  I
didn't mean to offend anyone when I said that I was trying to make cs
people into something other than geeks.  I really thought I was doing
the right thing, so it appears that I'm wrong AGAIN.  You have all
been so much help to me, the last thing I wanted to do was to get
anyone mad.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a magazine that
would be interested in an article about Steve Jobs?  If so, please
E-mail me.

Trish
p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu

"With only love to light the way,
	on the road to judgement day."
		----Whitesnake "Fields of Fire"

p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu (Patricia L. Reynolds) (12/01/90)

Hi everyone.  Guess what, I did it!  I talked to Steve Jobs at the BCS
meeting on November 28, 1990.  He was very nice.  I only got to ask
him one question, but he told me what I wanted to know, so I'm happy.
From all the books I have read I think I was expecting someone with
the kind of charisma like JFK.  He was really interesting and funny,
but I don't think he was all that charismatic.  He did respond to my e-mail
also.

So I just want to say HA, HA, HA, HA -- to those people who told me I
would be shot down, and thank you to everyone who encouraged me.

Sincerely,

Trish
p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu

                       ------Whitesnake, Only My Soul

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.160441.21286@oz.plymouth.edu> p_reynol@oz.plymouth.edu (Patricia L. Reynolds) writes:
>Hi everyone.  Guess what, I did it!  I talked to Steve Jobs at the BCS
>meeting on November 28, 1990.  He was very nice.  I only got to ask
>him one question, but he told me what I wanted to know, so I'm happy.
>From all the books I have read I think I was expecting someone with
>the kind of charisma like JFK.  He was really interesting and funny,
>but I don't think he was all that charismatic.

He is a nice guy.  And charismatic.  Perhaps JFK wouldn't have seemed
so to you, either, on a chance meeting.

From my Digital Webster under "charisma" (-:

2a: a personal magic of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or
  enthusiasm for a public figure (as a political leader or military
  commander)
 b: a special magnetic charm or appeal (the charisma of a popular actor)

I think he qualifies as having personal magic of leadership arousing
special popular loyalty and enthusiasm....

Anyway, methinks you ought to post your article when you're done with
it (rules permitting), now that you've gotten us all so involved in
the process.  After all, this newsgroup doesn't differ from Cosmo in
any significant sense, other than that no one has thought to post our
horoscopes weekly yet :-)

Glennn
--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software