[comp.sys.next] New NeXT Magazine!

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/27/90)

Have you heard about the new magazine for NeXT owners?

It's called 	"MachUser Magazine"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  8-)  !!!!

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (11/29/90)

In article <61300052@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Have you heard about the new magazine for NeXT owners?
>
>It's called 	"MachUser Magazine"

Funny... :)
seriously, is there a magazine for NeXT users/owners/etc? I would be interested
in subscribing.

- Vareck Bostrom
bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (11/30/90)

In article <656@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
>is there a magazine for NeXT users/owners/etc? I would be interested

1) NEXTWORLD
	PO 56429
	Boulder, CO 80323
2) NeXUS
	Boylan Enterprises
	404.271.8305
3) Baran's Tech Letter
	208.265.5286
4) NeXT Users' Journal
	in /pub/next/buzzings at cs.orst.edu

	Good hunting

richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) (11/30/90)

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:

>In article <656@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
>>is there a magazine for NeXT users/owners/etc? I would be interested

>1) NEXTWORLD
>	PO 56429
>	Boulder, CO 80323

Nextworld seems like vapor to me.  I sent them a request for a subscription
quite awhile ago (6-8 weeks) and have still not heard anything.  Does anyone
actually have an issue?  Am I alone?

Rick Fanta	(richf@adiron.uucp)
		"Those who speak, do not know.
		 Those who know, do not speak."
		-Ancient Taoist proverb

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (12/02/90)

In article <1123@adiron.UUCP> richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) writes:

   >In article <656@storm.UUCP> bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) writes:
   >>is there a magazine for NeXT users/owners/etc? I would be interested

   >1) NEXTWORLD
   >	PO 56429
   >	Boulder, CO 80323

   Nextworld seems like vapor to me.  I sent them a request for a subscription
   quite awhile ago (6-8 weeks) and have still not heard anything.  Does anyone
   actually have an issue?  Am I alone?

Read MacWorld instead.  Bruce Webster has an article that seems pretty
damning about the current state of Mac hardware.  He seemed to be
restraining himself so as not to outrage the Mac community.  But the
comparison's in his article speak for themselves.

-Mike

BTW.  He said something about the NeXT argueably being the best
development platform.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/02/90)

----------
In article <Faj#q?j3@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes...

>In article <1123@adiron.UUCP> richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) writes:
[...]
>Read MacWorld instead.  Bruce Webster has an article that seems pretty
>damning about the current state of Mac hardware.  He seemed to be
>restraining himself so as not to outrage the Mac community.  But the
>comparison's in his article speak for themselves.
>
>-Mike
>
>BTW.  He said something about the NeXT argueably being the best
>development platform.

Yes, I always trust journalists.

I know the argument has been made that the Mac group may be interested in
comparisons between the Next and the Mac.  But notes about Next magazines?
Take it to your own newsgroup.

Robert

>quite awhile ago (6-8 weeks) and have still not heard anything.  Does anyone
>actually have an issue?  Am I alone?

Wait another month. NeXTWorld reps spoke at BaNG a couple of months ago
and they said then that the mag wouldn't start until December or January.
They were still hiring an art director a month ago is what I hear.

It will be worth the wait. Best of breed. Interpersonal. Insanely
great. (small joke)

Seriously, it will hopefully it'll be as exciting as MacWorld was to
read 6 years ago.  Their plan is to make it somewhat unusual and have
say Bill Gates interviewing Toffler and things like this..i.e. not
just another "Spreadsheet Shootout: Wingz vs. PowerStep" kind of
thing. It sounds really interesting.

- g

BPorter@world.std.com (Barry M Porter) (12/03/90)

The Boston Computer Society publishes a very fine newsletter dedicated to the
NeXt machine, "Whats NeXt".....Its published by the BCS NeXt user group...the BCS can br reached at 1 Center Plaza, Boston, MA 02108

If you need for infop, write the BCS or send me EMail...Barry

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (12/04/90)

In article <1123@adiron.UUCP> richf@adiron.UUCP (Rick Fanta) writes:
>Nextworld seems like vapor to me.  I sent them a request for a subscription
>quite awhile ago (6-8 weeks) and have still not heard anything.  Does anyone
>actually have an issue?  Am I alone?

The first issue hasn't come out yet, so you're not missing it.  I believe
it will be out in January.  It isn't vapor, it just takes a while to get
a new magazine off the ground.  They're backed by IDG, one of the biggy
publishers (responsible for MacWorld, Publish, etc).

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers