[comp.sys.next] Stuart 2.0

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (11/28/90)

Guess what?  Stuart2.0 is out there.  Read on:

This is the README file for the 2.0 version of Stuart.

Hi, people.  Long time no see!  As most of you know, I have been
a very busy man.  This summer, I worked with NeXT to get a decent
Terminal program into the 2.0 release of NextStep.  This has taken
a very large chunk of my time, but has given me good experience .
. .

Anyhow, I now have the 2.0 version of Stuart finished.  Why 2.0
(and not 1.0)?  Because, the 2.0 version is more than a 1.0-c to
1.0 leap.  So, we go directly to 2.0.  Am I confident naming this
2.0?  Yes, because this is the finished version.  All the new 2.x
stuff is going to be bug fixes (ha, what are those!).  If I sound
confident about this release, I am.  I've been using it for about
3 months, as have many people, without major problems.  I believe
I've tracked down all the amazing bugs, and what is left are simply
to tenuous to find.  Thus, I'm unleashing it on the world at large.

Again, the documentatino is in roff format.  To print it out, run
ptroff -man filename, where filename is one of the documents.  Why
roff format?  Because, I like to install the stuff online in such
a manner that the user can read it from almost anywhere.  Besides,
I don't like WriteNow.  In NextStep2.0, Edit will be capable of
enough formatting that I might use it, but most of you don't have
NextStep2.0, yet :-).

Well, I've got to go - get to work on amazing new programs . . .
I wish you luck with Stuart.  Please do tell me all about any bugs
you find, in great detail . . .

Stuart should be availiable on cs.orst.edu and sonata.cc.purdue.edu,
as Stuart2.0.tar.Z, in the appropriate NeXT binaries directory.

Lastly, all registered users are automagically registered for use
of Stuart2.0.  I decided that there simply were not enough registered
1.0 users to warrant squeezing the last drop of blood out of them :-).

Thanks for supporting ShareWare.

scott hess
scott@gac.edu
--
scott hess
scott@gac.edu

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (11/28/90)

How does Stuart 2.0 relate to the version of Terminal in the 2.0 release?  Is
it the same?

louie

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (11/29/90)

What does the Format button in the Print panel do?   Pressing it changes
the line of text under the button from Attributes to No Attributes, but
I can't detect any actual change in printed output.

scott@next-5.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.141648.6401@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>How does Stuart 2.0 relate to the version of Terminal in the 2.0 release?
>Is it the same?

Since this seems to be a common question, I'll be writing up some sort of
"white paper" explaining the differences.  Watch for it . . .
--

cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) (11/29/90)

In article <SCOTT.90Nov27192324@mcs-server.gac.edu> scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

>Anyhow, I now have the 2.0 version of Stuart finished.  Why 2.0
>(and not 1.0)?  Because, the 2.0 version is more than a 1.0-c to
>1.0 leap.  So, we go directly to 2.0.

Great, Scott!  Just tell us two more things:

1) What are the advantages of Stuart 2.0 over the NextStep 2.0 Terminal
  application that you spiffied up?  If we will be getting 2.0 installed
  shortly, is there any use in getting Stuart 2.0 also?

2) What are the functional improvements of Stuart 2.0 over 1.0?  (Like,
  is it now possible to put text in the title of a window so all the
  little icons don't all say "/bin/csh"?)

Thanks!

In article <1990Nov28.224036.15480@informix.com> cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) writes:
   1) What are the advantages of Stuart 2.0 over the NextStep 2.0 Terminal
     application that you spiffied up?  If we will be getting 2.0 installed
     shortly, is there any use in getting Stuart 2.0 also?

Refer to the posting I made on this.

   2) What are the functional improvements of Stuart 2.0 over 1.0?  (Like,
     is it now possible to put text in the title of a window so all the
     little icons don't all say "/bin/csh"?)

I knew I forgot something.  One thing that may _sort_ of alleviate this
is that you can now use just the name of the program, as long as it's
in the search path.  So, now miniwindows look like "csh (ttyp2)".
Which is a bit nicer (not so nice as really fixing it, though).
--
scott hess
scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	(Stuart)
GAC Undergrad			(Horrid.  Simply Horrid.  I mean the work!)
<I still speak for nobody>

absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu (Daniel/Absinthe/God) (12/03/90)

Has anyone other than myself noticed that Stuart 2.0 doesn't allow
use of the tilde (~) key?  I have to cut-and-paste from Edit (very annoying)
Am I missing an option or what?

[including file: /altdimension7/'heaven'/God/Christian/.signature...]
Faithfully and unerringly saving our civilization from certain demise..
absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu     |    "Don't get Odd, get Even"
The opinions (and/or facts) expressed herein may represent most of the
student body and administratium here at the UW. But then again, they may not.

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (12/03/90)

In article <12186@milton.u.washington.edu> absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu (Daniel/Absinthe/God) writes:

   Has anyone other than myself noticed that Stuart 2.0 doesn't allow
   use of the tilde (~) key?  I have to cut-and-paste from Edit (very annoying)
   Am I missing an option or what?

You are "missing an option".  Please read the documentation, people (I
_think_ it's right :-).  In the Preferences menu, there's a preference
for "Emulate VT100 keypad".  If this is one, you are going to get
VT100 keypad codes when you type keypad keys.  Sometimes, these codes
match the regular ones, sometimes not.  In this mode, you'll never get
~ off the keypad . . . well, almost never.  The Alternate key is a
temporary toggle for this option, so with VT100 keypad _on_, typing
alt-shift-~ gets you tilde.

Why does it default to be on?  Well, because it's a vt100 terminal emulator.
Maybe in the future it will be the other way, because it seems that more
and more people could care less for what the keypad is used for . . .
this would only affect new users, because old ones would already have the
correct default in their defaults database.
--

paul@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Paul Sanchez) (12/03/90)

In article <12186@milton.u.washington.edu> absinthe@milton.u.washington.edu (Daniel/Absinthe/God) writes:

   Has anyone other than myself noticed that Stuart 2.0 doesn't allow
   use of the tilde (~) key?  I have to cut-and-paste from Edit (very annoying)
   Am I missing an option or what?

I played around with it (and read the documentation), and found that
that comes from doing vt100 keypad emulation.  You can either turn
that off in the preferences, or you can do alt-~ (or is it command?
I'm not at my NeXT right now...).
--paul
paul@tucson.sie.arizona.edu

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (12/04/90)

I find that shift-ESC is a much more convenient '~' than reaching way over to
the keypad.  Is this tilde route still valid under Stuart 2.0?
--
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane