[comp.sys.next] automatic screen dimming

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (11/28/90)

Is there any way to control the degree of dimming that occurs when
the NeXT screen dimmer kicks in?  I know how to use Preferences to
control the amount of time that must expire before the screen automatically
dims and I know how to set the "active" screen brightness.  What I
want is a way to control the brightness of the screen when the screen
is in the "inactive" mode.  I'm not too keen on the idea of manually
dimming and brightening the screen whenever I'm going to be away from
the console for a while.  Thanks for any info on this.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (11/28/90)

Along these lines, does anybody have a screen blanker that blanks the screen
(to a specified darkness)?  Anybody got anything which does stuff on the
blanked screen that is not CPU intensive?  That way, you know the machine
is still on, but don't have to worry about burn-in.

			Thanks, Ralph

Ralph Seguin			gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
536 South Forest Apt. #915	gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI 48104		(313) 662-4805

fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (11/28/90)

On the same topic, I have asked before about whether anyone had gotten
screensaver (found in the archives) to work (we haven't). I got one
affirmative response but we still can't make it work and it behaves
similarly under 2.0. If it worked, it would be a nice way to do screen
blanking as it permits any postscript file to be used as the screen display
(including just black).

herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) (11/29/90)

fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) writes:

>On the same topic, I have asked before about whether anyone had gotten
>screensaver (found in the archives) to work (we haven't). I got one
>affirmative response but we still can't make it work and it behaves
>similarly under 2.0. If it worked, it would be a nice way to do screen
>blanking as it permits any postscript file to be used as the screen display
>(including just black).

    I have gotten it to work under certain circumstances.  The invokation
    of the program, that is launched from the boot processing ( ie. forked
    from within the processing of rc.local ), does not work.  Killing the
    initial invokation and restarting the program in the backround works
    for as long as the invoking user remains logged in.  However, as soon
    as that user logs out, the program ceases to work.

    I am confidant that the program is attempting to run one of its
    screensaver scripts because on my cube the screen will dim, momentarily,
    and then brightens ( just as it usually does when the program successfully
    starts a screensaver script ).  However, nothing else happens, and this
    is actually worse that not using the screensaver system at all because
    screensaver brightens the screen to full before failing to fork the
    screensaver script and leaves the screen that way.

								- Max

William R. Herndon
Secure Computing Technology Corp.                  The opinions expressed are
                                                   mine, ALL MINE!  HEH, HEH,
herndon@sctc.com				   HEH, HEH!!!
(612) 482-7431

vesper@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Vesper - RMS) (11/30/90)

In <1990Nov28.164541.12961@sctc.com> herndon@sctc.com (William R. Herndon) writes:

>fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) writes:

>>On the same topic, I have asked before about whether anyone had gotten
>>screensaver (found in the archives) to work (we haven't). I got one
>>affirmative response but we still can't make it work and it behaves
>>similarly under 2.0. If it worked, it would be a nice way to do screen
>>blanking as it permits any postscript file to be used as the screen display
>>(including just black).

>    I have gotten it to work under certain circumstances.  The invokation
>    of the program, that is launched from the boot processing ( ie. forked
>    from within the processing of rc.local ), does not work.  Killing the
>    initial invokation and restarting the program in the backround works
>    for as long as the invoking user remains logged in.  However, as soon
>    as that user logs out, the program ceases to work.

I have gotten it to work from rc.local, but only if you run justblack..
any of the other options won't work over the login panel..

Greg Vesper (vesper@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov) 301-286-5162
Goddard Space Flight Center; Greenbelt, Maryland
"Two basic facts of life: 1) There is a God. 2) You're not him."
--
Greg Vesper (vesper@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov) 301-286-5162
Goddard Space Flight Center; Greenbelt, Maryland
"Two basic facts of life: 1) There is a God. 2) You're not him."

erik@informix.com (Erik Hennum) (11/30/90)

How about giving pft a PostScript program of your liking?  For example,

  pft -f /NextLibrary/Images/Scene_movies/spotlight.movie/spotlight.script.ps -s

When you're done, press your interrupt character.  Typically that's Control-c,
but you can find out with

  stty all

Hope this is useful,

--
Erik Hennum                       at Informix, which has thoughts all its own
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!erik                                       415/926-6463

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (12/01/90)

how about holding down your finger on the dim button for about 30
seconds.

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (12/01/90)

In article <10533@helios.TAMU.EDU> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) writes:
>how about holding down your finger on the dim button for about 30
>seconds.

You might enjoy doing this, but I have better things to do with my
time (like respond to silly USENET posts :-).

Seriously, if an application like ScreenSaver can be written (that
works at least in a partial sense of the word), it shouldn't be too
difficult to make the degree of automatic dimming that already
occurs be adjustable.

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin
garnett@cs.utexas.edu         Department of Computer Science
                              Austin, Texas

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/01/90)

	mmm... is there anyway to dim the screen completely? It can not be
	done with dim button.  Also, it is kind annoying during the night.
	I tried that screensaver and couldn't get it work either...

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (12/01/90)

In article <1001@nada.cs.utexas.edu> garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) writes:

>Seriously, if an application like ScreenSaver can be written (that
>works at least in a partial sense of the word), it shouldn't be too
>difficult to make the degree of automatic dimming that already
>occurs be adjustable.

Here's a project for you NeXTDimension hackers:  All those screensavers
on the Mac or PC that put animated fish on the screen.  Wouldn't it
be way hep to get a _video_ of fish swimming around in your monitor?
Broadcast quality? With discreet sound effects?

Small market, neato product.

Don McGregor             | "I too seek the light, so long as it tastes
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu|  great and is not too filling."

bostrov@storm.UUCP (Vareck Bostrom) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Dec01.045515.13855@scion.CS.ORST.EDU> mcgredo@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Don McGregor) writes:
>Here's a project for you NeXTDimension hackers:  All those screensavers
>on the Mac or PC that put animated fish on the screen.  Wouldn't it

Oh great. Now NeXT's will be just like all the people who do xlock on
their Suns and have the fractal images drawing all over the place, driving
the load up. Admittidly, it would be neato, but how would you do it? To
store 5 minutes of video images would be a major pain to your disk -- You
could plug a vcr in -- or better yet, a video camara that is taking live
shots of a aquarium. Seems a bit ridculious to blow $4500 on NeXTdimention
just to do that though :).

-Vareck Bostrom
bostrov@mist.cs.orst.edu

burns@gatech.edu (James E. Burns) (12/04/90)

Since there has been a lot of traffic about how to dim the screen
completely & quickly, I thought I might as well post this little
hack (also appears in NUJ11).

Put the following code into a file, say /me/hacks/Blackforeground.
In Terminal (or Shell) type (or use an alias for):

  pft -f /me/hacks/Blackforeground

(Note: full path name is required.)
To quit, use Cntl-D  (to end the expect keyboard input).