[comp.sys.next] NeXT Window server access from other nonNeXT systems...

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (11/30/90)

I would like to see a set of programming libraries for "nonNeXT" systems so
that I could write programs that display windows on the NeXT.  It would be neat
if I could hop over to a cray and type "splatneatimage -NXHost mynext" and have
the cray open a window on my next, filling it with wonderfull stuff.  I know
that this is possible using things like X11, but a more NeXT like solution
would make me happy :-).

While writing this, I just had an idea for a simple sounding daemon that would
listen on a TCP port.  A program on a remote host could open a TCP connection
to that port and write Display Postscript(tm) to the NeXT, the daemon on the
NeXT would pop open the window and display the image.  Some method of sending
NeXT events to the window back to the remote host would be cool.  Now if I just
had time to program...

..or NeXT could market the Cray YMP under the name NeXTsuper, or awesomeNeXT,
they could even order them from Cray in black...I predict great acceptance in
the educational market as long as they sell them for less than $3995.00!!!! :-)

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

hue@island.uu.net (Jonathan Hue) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Nov29.221957.781@gacvx2.gac.edu>, dan@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
> While writing this, I just had an idea for a simple sounding daemon that would
> listen on a TCP port.  A program on a remote host could open a TCP connection
> to that port and write Display Postscript(tm) to the NeXT, the daemon on the

I don't know if this is still true, but you used to be able to telnet to the
window server and type PostScript at it.  Look in /etc/services for something
like:

pswm	xxx/tcp

and then type "telnet some_next_box xxx".  You should then be able to send
PostScript to the window server.  As I recall, you had to type "flush" to
get it to print the results of operators like "pstack"

> NeXT would pop open the window and display the image.  Some method of sending
> NeXT events to the window back to the remote host would be cool.  Now if I just
> had time to program...

If you had Mach message passing and the net message server running on the
remote host you could do this.  But then you'd have to do a lot of the work
yourself that the DPS client library and Appkit does for you on the NeXT.

--
Only in Marin:  Sign next to Sony waterproof cordless phone in department
store calls it "Marin Hot Tub model"

Jonathan Hue	Island Graphics Corp.	uunet!island!hue   hue@island.com