[comp.sys.next] uucp problems

rock@lighthouse.com (Roger Rock Rosner) (10/06/89)

Has anyone experienced and solved the following problem?

lighthouse> uucp -x99 osu-cis\!\~/ls-lR.Z /Users/rock/test.Z

** START **
UID 22, User rock,Ename () PATH /Users/rock
Before Alias: osu-cis
Alias expansion for osu-cis
Alias line: lightho	lighthouse

Compare against: lightho
Compare against: lighthouse
Alias doesn't match osu-cis, remains unchanged
After Alias: osu-cis
file1 - ls-lR.Z
receive file - 1
Bus error
lighthouse>

Oddly enough, I have uucp-based mail and news working just fine.
(I've asked NeXT but they are not supporting uucp in 1.0.)

Perchance, does there exist public domain uucp source?

Roger Rosner
Lighthouse Design, Ltd.
Usenet:   ...!uunet!lighthouse!rock
Internet: rock@lighthouse.com
US mail:  7100 Edgevale Street
          Chevy Chase, MD 20815-5906
Phone:    301-907-4621

cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (11/16/90)

Well, I got the Exabyte to work, thanks. Now I have a problem getting
UUCP to run correctly, I'm running 1.0 :

	1. uux gets segmentation violation when running rmail from sendmail,
	   but somehow the mail gets out sometime later anyway. it also gets
	   SEGV's when running by hand.
	2. uucp refuses to send files, permission problem, works the
	   other way. I have tried to send from the ~uucp directory.
	3. uulog -ssystem will get segmentation violation, uulog -uuser works
	4. incoming mail gets qeued on the sending machine, but when I
	   poll it, my machine never requests it.

	- when I poll the other system I use

	  uucico -r1 -spur-ee [-x5]

I got everything set up correctly, considering it qeues up the mail
calls up and actually does transfer things correctly in some instances.
The machine that I poll has been set up right, since it worked with the
machine that I replaces with the NeXT. I think there are some bugs,
since I would expect error messages and log entries if I it were set
up wrong.

Thanks, -ingo

--
/*                Ingo Cyliax    ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.          *
 *      cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu    Purdue University, W. Lafayette,IN 47907   *

doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov16.101032@ecn.purdue.edu> cyliax@ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:
>Well, I got the Exabyte to work, thanks. Now I have a problem getting
>UUCP to run correctly, I'm running 1.0 :
>
>	1. uux gets segmentation violation when running rmail from sendmail,
>	   but somehow the mail gets out sometime later anyway. it also gets
>	   SEGV's when running by hand.
>	2. uucp refuses to send files, permission problem, works the
>	   other way. I have tried to send from the ~uucp directory.
>	3. uulog -ssystem will get segmentation violation, uulog -uuser works
>	4. incoming mail gets qeued on the sending machine, but when I
>	   poll it, my machine never requests it.
>
>	- when I poll the other system I use
>
>	  uucico -r1 -spur-ee [-x5]

	I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems with uucp.  A month and a
	half ago I was able to both be called by and to call the site that
	gives me my mail via uucp.  Then, one day, I was no longer able to
	poll them successfully.  They still poll me regularly, without
	problem, but my attempts time out after login.  As far as I can tell,
	all my necessary files are intact, and so are theirs.  I ran uucico
	with -x20 and found that after successfully logging in, it stops at
	the line:

	imsg looking for SYNC<

	at which point it says login failed and then shows:

	login:

	again!  This is after already getting the msg that the login was
	successful!  This is really baffling me because I cannot find any
	documentation about the gritty details of how this stuff happens.
	Do any uucp gurus out there recognize this?

	Thanks a million.

___
Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

Douglas Scott
doug@dept.csci.unt.edu

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov17.162117.8283@solo.csci.unt.edu> doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) writes:
|						     As far as I can tell,
|	all my necessary files are intact, and so are theirs.  I ran uucico
|	with -x20 and found that after successfully logging in, it stops at
|	the line:
|
|	imsg looking for SYNC<
|
|	at which point it says login failed and then shows:
|
|	login:
|
|	again!  This is after already getting the msg that the login was
|	successful!

My guess is that your password was changed.  Try dialing the number
directly with "tip", waiting for the "login:" prompt, and try to log
in as the uucp login/password.  You won't be able to do much, but
you should not get a "login incorrect" message, at least.  If that's
not the problem, then I don't know what is.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		PostScript/NeXT developers

mortlepp@veeble.north.de (Martin Ortlepp) (12/02/90)

Hi,

I have some problems with uucp on my NeXTcube. Everytime I
tried to call other systems the login procedure didn't work
coorectly. After my system sends name and password it looks
for a sync (imsg looking for SYNC). And thats all, nothing happens.
What does this mean ? I'm using software release 1.0a.

Regards,

Martin

doug@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Douglas A. Scott) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec2.085221.10254@veeble.north.de> mortlepp@veeble.north.de (Martin Ortlepp) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have some problems with uucp on my NeXTcube. Everytime I
>tried to call other systems the login procedure didn't work
>coorectly. After my system sends name and password it looks
>for a sync (imsg looking for SYNC). And thats all, nothing happens.
>What does this mean ? I'm using software release 1.0a.

	I had this exact problem, and spent weeks trying to solve it, thinking
	it was a UUCP problem.  The answer was embarrassingly simple:  the
	remote machine does not know you.  Your machine's UUCP name and pass-
	word are either missing or incorrect in the remote machine's
	/etc/passwd file.  The way to double check this is to log in by hand,
	and see if your login and password get you on (you of course cannot
	do anything once logged on, since your shell is uucico!).

	If you have tried this and you CAN log on by hand, then the only other
	problem I know of is your "expect-send" protocol in your L.sys file.
	Remember that every string sent will have a <cr> attached to it
	unless you specifically ask it not to (with \c).  If you tell it to
	expect "ogin:", and then give it an extra <cr>, the remote will think
	your password is <cr>.  The expect-send should look something like:

	"" "" ogin:--ogin--ogin: uudork ssword: foobar

	with no entries between the login name and the password other than the
	"ssword:" expect string.  You may have a bit more stuff preceding the
	"ogin:" expect string, though, depending on your modem and site.

	The new documentation about UUCP (available from the NeXT archives) is
	very complete, and explains all this stuff about as clearly as
	something as obscure as this can be explained.

	Good luck.