[net.auto] Scirocco break problem

susan@ccivax.UUCP (Susan Micciche) (10/17/85)

Hello Everyone!

	Any Scirocco owners out there? I drive an 85 and like the
car. There are, however, a couple of, shall we say, features, that
have me confused.
	The breaks squeak. I've had the dealer check them out and he
says that they're ok. I haven't noticed a problem stopping, just
squeaking. I've also noticed that the front wheels get a lot
dirtier than the rear wheels. The dealer says this is "break dust".
	 Please help. Am I being paranoid, or is something fishy?

Susan Micciche
{rochester|rlgvax}!ccivax!susan

gvcormack@watmum.UUCP (Gordon V. Cormack) (10/20/85)

> Hello Everyone!
>
> 	Any Scirocco owners out there? I drive an 85 and like the
> car. There are, however, a couple of, shall we say, features, that
> have me confused.
> 	The breaks squeak. I've had the dealer check them out and he
> says that they're ok. I haven't noticed a problem stopping, just
> squeaking. I've also noticed that the front wheels get a lot
> dirtier than the rear wheels. The dealer says this is "break dust".
> 	 Please help. Am I being paranoid, or is something fishy?
>
> Susan Micciche
> {rochester|rlgvax}!ccivax!susan

I would have those breaks welded right away.  Look what happened when
Japan Air Lines ignored a few breaks in the rear pressure wall of
a 747.  The squeaking is probably caused by the components adjacent
to the break rubbing together.

bcbell@inmet.UUCP (10/20/85)

**  Brake line  **

I don't have a VW but know a lot of people who do.  Lots of them have
squeaky brakes.  Softer pads (sometimes) help.  Brake dust is also normal
for these cars.  If you get tired of cleaning the wheels, you can buy a
pair of aftermarket brake dust shields for about $40 which will keep the
dust from blowing out through the holes in the wheels.

R.M. Mottola
Cyborg Corp.
Newton, MA.

jimn@cornell.UUCP (Jim Nesheim) (10/21/85)

In article <314@ccivax.UUCP> susan@ccivax.UUCP (Susan Micciche) writes:

>	Any Scirocco owners out there? I drive an 85 and like the
>	The breaks squeak. I've had the dealer check them out and he
>says that they're ok. I haven't noticed a problem stopping, just
>squeaking. I've also noticed that the front wheels get a lot
>dirtier than the rear wheels. The dealer says this is "break dust".
>	 Please help. Am I being paranoid, or is something fishy?
>
>Susan Micciche
>{rochester|rlgvax}!ccivax!susan

	I don't think that there's anything fishy going on. I own
an '85 GTI, and my car displays the same symptoms.
	As for the brakes, I've been told that they squeek because
of the material the pads are made of ; some material that lasts
longer at the expense of some noise.
	Dirty front wheels, well, I always thought it had something to
do with front wheel drive. I've noticed it on almost all new front
wheel drive VW's. I don't think that there is anything to worry
about.

Jim Nesheim
jimn%amvax@cornell.arpa  <or>  jimn@amvax.tn.cornell.edu
{ihnp4,cmcl2,decvax,vax135}!cornell!amvax!jimn

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (10/24/85)

> 	Dirty front wheels, well, I always thought it had something to
> do with front wheel drive. I've noticed it on almost all new front
> wheel drive VW's. I don't think that there is anything to worry
> about.
>
> Jim Nesheim
> jimn%amvax@cornell.arpa  <or>  jimn@amvax.tn.cornell.edu
> {ihnp4,cmcl2,decvax,vax135}!cornell!amvax!jimn

The dirty front wheels are from dust from the disc brake pads.  Nothing
to worry about, just a result of front disc brakes that are mounted in the
wheels.  If you really want to prevent your wheels from getting dirty, you
can buy shields that fit inside the wheel and prevent the dust from getting
out.  However, the cheapest solution is just to clean your front wheels
more often.
--
Dave Fritzinger, Public Health Research Institute, NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"I think. I think I am. Therefore, I am,...I think."

					Moody Blues

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (10/28/85)

In article <314@ccivax.UUCP> susan@ccivax.UUCP (Susan Micciche) writes:

>	Any Scirocco owners out there? I drive an 85 and like the
>car. There are, however, a couple of, shall we say, features, that
>have me confused.
>	The breaks squeak. I've had the dealer check them out and he
>says that they're ok. I haven't noticed a problem stopping, just
>squeaking. I've also noticed that the front wheels get a lot
>dirtier than the rear wheels. The dealer says this is "break dust".
>	 Please help. Am I being paranoid, or is something fishy?

I don't own a Scirocco, but I've owned two Rabbits and now an '85 Jetta
GLI, and I have had some experience with their brakes (not "breaks").

First, disk brakes have a tendency to squeak.  I've been told that this
is normal, at least to some extent.  I fixed a squeaking problem on a
Rabbit by throwing out the "no-name" replacement pads I had gotten
cheap and putting in VW replacement pads.  On my new Jetta, I have some
squeaking, but I don't know whether it's bad enough to bother with.

There are plastic shims placed between the pads and the pistons that
are supposed to reduce squeaking.  Check to see that these are in place.

There are products sold to combat disk brake squeaking.  The stuff I
have is a blue liquid, much like rubber cement.  They say to paint it
on the backs of the pads, then reinstall the pads.  It helped a little
on my Rabbit, so you might want to try it.  A well-stocked auto parts
store should carry this product.

Finally, on dust.  Your car has disks on the front wheels, and drum
brakes on the rear.  Both generate the black dust you saw, but drums
don't put it on the wheels.  Disk brakes do.  (If I'm wrong, and you do
have disks on the rear, as I do, you still will get most of your dust
on the front, as that's where most of the braking is done.)  There are
two solutions.  First, you can wash your wheels often, like once a
week.  If you don't, the corrosive dust will permanently etch your
wheels, and they won't look so nice.  Second, there are pie-tin shaped
guards that can be mounted between the wheels and the brakes.  I've not
tried them; maybe someone out there who has can testify to their
performance?

Summing up, minor squeaking and dust generation are normal side effects
of disk brakes.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley